Photo Radar: Ford Windstars and Dodge Dakotas are EPS favourites. White pickup trucks are also used, saw 1 in Sherwood Park and 1 on the Anthony Henday.
Multanova 6F (Ka 34.3 and K 24.1)
ACS (K band)
Gatso Radar 24 (K band)
Yes, the majority of photoradar is K BAND; not all of them are Ka as many people think. In fact I've only encountered 2 Ka band photo radars in the 2 years I've had a radar detector.
Never turn off K band in Edmonton!!!
The city supposedly has only 5. Please update the list if you run into them:
Photo Radar Vehicles:
1. White Ford Windstar Van with tinted windows (Alberta Plate CUE 819)
2. Grey Chevrolet Silverado Truck with Truck Top Cover (Alberta Plate FJA 109). Has a yellow bumper sticker ribbon on back right side that says "Support our troops".
3. Red Dodge Dakota Truck with Truck Top Cover (Alberta Plate LAL 809).
Unmarked (Ghost) Police Cruisers:
1. Brown Crown Victoria with tinted windows & stealth mounted lights in grill and rear mirror (Alberta Plate MAD 081) - Ka band radar
2. White Ford Explorer (newer model) with dark grey cladding. One dash mounted radar unit (Alberta Plate PRS 647) - K band radar
3. Silver Pontiac GrandAm GT with full tint, spoiler, stealth lights mounted high. (Alberta Plate CAW 111)
Edmonton Police Cruisers (Traffic Cars): K and Ka band
Edmonton Police Cruisers (Patrol Cars): Carry laser, but they rarely use it.
Highway Patrol Sherrifs: K band, laser
RCMP: K and Ka band
Laser: Used on the Yellowhead, Whitemud, Sherwood Park Freeway, and some main city streets like long stretches on 97 Street.
EPS uses LTI Marksman and LTI 20-20 Ultralyte. They will often setup on a long stretch of street, laser you, then jump out in front of you to flag you over to a side street where they issue a ticket.
(May 29th/2008: Confirmed LTI 20-20 Ultralyte laser seen with officer)
No confirmed X hits yet for me. I've actually turned X band off.