Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Which radar/laser bands in Indiana

How do you guys know which bands of radar and or laser are currently used in your state? Im from Indiana, and would like to know the band of choice for Indiana LEOs. Thanks.

Advanced Member

This thread belongs in 'Speed Trap Info' forum

In that Forum the first sticky is a thread with the radar bands listed per state

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

Most states, the band of choice is K or Ka. However, X band is still used in Indiana, so don't rule it out completely. I'm not sure how heavily.

Michigan, it's mostly K and Ka. I've had reports that "up north" (north of Clare) that you might run into the occasional X band from the locals. I however have yet to run into any X band. Staties use K/Ka/Laser exclusivly.

Ohio, X band is still heavily used. In fact, I don't think my detector has ever alerted to anything in Ohio other than X and Laser.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Which radar/laser bands in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by RapedApe
    How do you guys know which bands of radar and or laser are currently used in your state? Im from Indiana, and would like to know the band of choice for Indiana LEOs. Thanks.
    Hello Rapedape, I live in Northwest, Indiana and K and Ka is all that I see. I am sure that some small towns still use X but as far as staties go, they use Ka. They also use laser on occasion. Am yet to see X in the Gary, Merrillville and surrounding areas. Havent seen X band in years in these areas.

Good Citizen

Just a couple of counties over, in Elkhart, they use X.

Good Citizen

Just a couple of counties over, in Elkhart county, they use X.

Professional

Well as of today I can confirm that a Marion County Sherrif was using X band!! I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

I was on my way to work, I go the same way everyday and I got an X band alert where I usually do not get one. There are lots of buildings and a gas station in this area and I kind of thought at first that maybe something had changed in the area so I was not worried about it at first.

Then the alert got stronger and I decide to slow down just in case, as I am looking around I see a Marion County Sherrif sitting in the far corner of the gas station.
    So to verify that it was not something else in the area I turn around and pull into the gas station and pull up next to him and act like I am getting air in my tire.
    There he was sitting in his car clocking people with what looked like some ancient radar unit just sitting up on his dash.
    I have only been running x band on 2 of my detectors but I will be enabling X band on all of them!

If it would have not been for other members from Indiana posting lately about the X band hits they had been getting I would have never enabled X band on 2 of my units!

One more reason I am glad I am a member of this board!!!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    Well as of today I can confirm that a Marion County Sherrif was using X band!! I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

I was on my way to work, I go the same way everyday and I got an X band alert where I usually do not get one. There are lots of buildings and a gas station in this area and I kind of thought at first that maybe something had changed in the area so I was not worried about it at first.

Then the alert got stronger and I decide to slow down just in case, as I am looking around I see a Marion County Sherrif sitting in the far corner of the gas station.
    So to verify that it was not something else in the area I turn around and pull into the gas station and pull up next to him and act like I am getting air in my tire.
    There he was sitting in his car clocking people with what looked like some ancient radar unit just sitting up on his dash.
    I have only been running x band on 2 of my detectors but I will be enabling X band on all of them!

If it would have not been for other members from Indiana posting lately about the X band hits they had been getting I would have never enabled X band on 2 of my units!

I'm having second thoughts now.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman

Did it have a big round antenna? If yes, it was probably a Decatur MV-715. Those will make the top RDs alert miles away, depending on terrain. What part of town did you run into this.

Thanks for doing the extra research in going back to look at the radar! Good work!

GTO_04

Professional

Did it have a big round antenna? If yes, it was probably a Decatur MV-715. Those will make the top RDs alert miles away, depending on terrain. What part of town did you run into this.

Thanks for doing the extra research in going back to look at the radar! Good work!

GTO_04
    I do not remember I was so shocked!! haahahahaha
    I went back to make sure it really was him. I had not seen X band in such a long time I thought I was going crazy.
    He was on the westside of town on Rockville Road and High School Road. right by the 465 on and off ramps at the Speedway gas station.

I was begining to think you guys reporting X band in Indiana were just crazy!!! hahahahaa
    The bad thing is I hate to run X band because of all the falses I will have to deal with now but I guess that is better than a ticket.