Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got a ticket from a aircraft !!!!

Coming home from Kansas City (Worlds of Fun) on 35 North in Missouri and was crusing along at 80 mph in a 70 zone when I looked up and saw a state patrolman pull in behind me then the dreaded lights went on pulled over and looked down the road and saw a couple more cars stopped all the while my Bel RX 65 sat there with the bright HIGHWAY lit up just as quit as could be When he walked up he said they had a aircraft up and they had got me at 80 and I was getting a summons (he probally wanted to laugh as my detector sat there all nice and peaceful) well my wife was mad and it cost me $80 bucks
    BUT >>>>>>>>> my question is what is the best way to protect from a airplane no amount of veil/laser jammers /detectors/ or anything else will help against a plane

Do I need a old fashioned C.B radio and ask for help from the truckers or how bout a police scanner/radio or something to pick up airplane communications ?????
    I gun shy about speeding now
    HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speed Demon

First off, you need to keep this to one thread instead of making 2 of them. It belongs in this forum better than th radar detector forum. ( i need to be an admin)

To defeat VASCAR, air speed detection....you need a scanner. Listen in on their freq's and see if they are running it. You will hear multiple outgoing calls about speed, description of car, direction traveling, lane traveling in. etc...

Good Citizen

Too bad they could be using 1 of hundreds of freqs. or worse yet, a trunk system. A CB would get better results than a scanner.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by goofy173
    Too bad they could be using 1 of hundreds of freqs. or worse yet, a trunk system. A CB would get better results than a scanner.
    If you get the right scanner you can pick up trunked systems no problem. CB will work, if you're willing to put up with the truckers' chatter. With a scanner, you will usually get a 10 to 20 mile warning that they have a plane or copter up!

Most states don't use aircraft that much. Except of course, for Ohio!

GTO_04

Lead Foot

That sucks that you got a ticket for doing such little amount of speed. Think of it this way, your $80 ticket probably cost them triple that. I haven't experienced VASCAR at all so I don't know how far they have to be to get a reading off you, but if they have to be like right above you or near the freeway, if your car has a sunroof, thats always a good way to keep an extra eye out too, aside from the cb.

Advanced Member

I have a scanner(Uniden bc246t) for VASCAR traps and i plan on getting a CB as well

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by N3T_K1LLA
    That sucks that you got a ticket for doing such little amount of speed. Think of it this way, your $80 ticket probably cost them triple that. I haven't experienced VASCAR at all so I don't know how far they have to be to get a reading off you, but if they have to be like right above you or near the freeway, if your car has a sunroof, thats always a good way to keep an extra eye out too, aside from the cb.
    When they are running air enforcement, you cannot see the plane. They fly off to the side of the road. I have driven through air speed traps and have never been able to see the plane. I don't have a sunroof though.

I don't think they have to be near the freeway.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

I've had scanners for years. You can go ahead and (IMHO) waste your money on one but I tried it for a couple of years on my 4 trips a year of 3000 miles. The scanner warned me of nothing. The CB warned me of many. (Next year the new recently approved trunk systems will make all current scanners useless anyway when the cops upgrade.)

It's more than likely that the CB will tell you about cops long before your detector will. Now this is assuming you are running an interstate or other large roads with lots of truckers. I use both to back up each other. I don't talk on it much but I will if I haven't heard anything recently.

Unless you are running with a convoy of trucks constantly, you won't hear much on it except the important stuff. It's not like the 70's where it was always busy and a lot of people ran linears (amplifiers). That's why they moved the trucker channel to 19 from 10. There was so much traffic on 10 that it was bleeding over to 9, the emergency channel.

I ran past a couple of truckers near Terre Haute last weekend and noticed one talking but I wasn't picking them up. I rotated the channel selector and found them on 24. They were speaking Arabic and both trucks were from Ontario. I bet they had a fun time getting through the border coming into the US from Canada.

Radar Fanatic

I've had scanners for years. You can go ahead and (IMHO) waste your money on one but I tried it for a couple of years on my 4 trips a year of 3000 miles. The scanner warned me of nothing. The CB warned me of many. (Next year the new recently approved trunk systems will make all current scanners useless anyway when the cops upgrade.)
    That is [b]not true.[b] If you have a newer Uniden or Radio Shack scanner, they will either work by just entering the new frequencies and talk groups, or at the worst they will need to be reflashed. So the re-banding will hardly make them useless!

It's more than likely that the CB will tell you about cops long before your detector will.
    If they are running air enforcement or possibly instant on radar, yes. Otherwise no way.

Now this is assuming you are running an interstate or other large roads with lots of truckers. I use both to back up each other. I don't talk on it much but I will if I haven't heard anything recently.
    If you are not on a busy interstate, CB will be absolutely useless.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    That is [b]not true.[b] If you have a newer Uniden or Radio Shack scanner, they will either work by just entering the new frequencies and talk groups, or at the worst they will need to be reflashed. So the re-banding will hardly make them useless!
    You're talking about a very few scanners and from what I'm hearing, these new freqs. will be illegal to receive, much like cell phone freqs. are now, so you won't get Uniden or RS to upgrade them.

It's more than likely that the CB will tell you about cops long before your detector will.
    If they are running air enforcement or possibly instant on radar, yes. Otherwise no way.
    If there are vehicles being pulled over by police, it'll be on the CB. Why would it matter whether it's aircraft or not? Yesterday I was warned about a speedtrap over 100 miles north of my location, and sure enough, they were there with an officer using Ka on an overpass. They weren't using air or instant on.

Now this is assuming you are running an interstate or other large roads with lots of truckers. I use both to back up each other. I don't talk on it much but I will if I haven't heard anything recently.

If you are not on a busy interstate, CB will be absolutely useless.
    GTO_04
    Also not true. I run US 31 in Indiana twice a month and while traffic is very slim, I've had no problems getting info from them. You either don't use CB or don't know what to say to truckers to get the info. to say that CB is useless except on a busy interstate. I use one every weekend and I travel a minimum of 1000 miles.