Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Trip out east...

I could search around a bunch of thread to figure this all out but I hope you guys don't mind me just simply asking...

So ill be heading out east for a week. Starting from Detroit and going to New York City via I-80. Then ill be going from NYC to Boston via I-95 (we'll actually be stopping up in cape cod too with I-195 then back with 3). Then finally Boston to Montreal via I-93 and I-89. I'll then be returning to Detroit via 401 through Canada.

So basically, if you guys could offer some advice / warnings for danger spots.
    Should I turn X band on?
    I know RDs are illegal in Canada so I guess I wont be using it then. What RDD do they use up there?

Administrator

Canada uses the Spectre
    Also been getting reports of new laser guns Ma State Police are using.

Quote Originally Posted by kuba View Post
    I could search around a bunch of thread to figure this all out but I hope you guys don't mind me just simply asking...

So ill be heading out east for a week. Starting from Detroit and going to New York City via I-80. Then ill be going from NYC to Boston via I-95 (we'll actually be stopping up in cape cod too with I-195 then back with 3). Then finally Boston to Montreal via I-93 and I-89. I'll then be returning to Detroit via 401 through Canada.

So basically, if you guys could offer some advice / warnings for danger spots.
    Should I turn X band on?
    I know RDs are illegal in Canada so I guess I wont be using it then. What RDD do they use up there?
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Old Timer

I have traveled in all of these states..i would only turn X on if u go into NJ or a small town in any of these states just incase local leos have an old K-55

Mass - mostly laser some K and Ka
    NH - some laser (watch underpasses and in the median) with K and Ka
    PA - i/o and c/o K band (very very good at i/o) along with ENRADD and vascar
    NY - laser, Ka, (never seen k but i no its used)
    VT - Ka, K laser

Canada - STi, STi-R, and 9500ci only:

quebec - watch the laser atlantas!!! (leos sitting in medians)
    ontario - again watch out for laser (leos sitting behind overpasses) and i know some K and Ka are used

Good Citizen

MA State loves to use Laser so be careful. I've seen unmarked Black expedition and an unmarked Dodge Charger on 495 (not sure if you'll be traveling that route). The main point is MA loves to use Laser.

In NH on 93, they also use laser. Mostly marked cars, but not all of them have light bars on the roof. They love to hide on 93 just over the MA border. Another trap is between exits 9-10.

Check out trapster for traps along your route. If you have a smart phone with GPS, it can alert you as you approach them. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to when I go to NY.

Also check out this thread: http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...5-23-08-a.html
    Last edited by kw79; 07-09-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Yoda of Radar

I live in NY and I can tell you the following:

I-80(81)(I-90): Buckle your straps. The troopers Patrol this heavily. They use instant-on Ka and are deadly with it! They also use Laser extremely effectively. Watch out for them in ANY 'U' turn areas in the median (though they will just cut across the road/median wherever they please.)

I would advise staying within 10MPH of the limit there. Also watch construction zones.

Also don't disregard K band on I-80, a few troopers still use K band guns...

K band is used by smaller forces (County and city) throughout New York a lot... so watch out for that off the main routes.

Professional

Im not familiar with any of those routes you are going to travel, but from what I've noticed on this forum that alot of people post about ticket help from MA, so im assuming they have strict enforcement there.

Old Timer

i wouldnt say its that intense from all the time i have been in mass and traveled through it but there is definitely a lot of laser

Old Timer

Passing through Ohio on 80?

If so, turn on X band - State Highway Patrol uses X-band rather heavily, along with LIDAR.

Watch for striped VASCAR lines, either on the roadway proper or on shoulders - it's a sign of potential for aerial VASCAR enforcement. Slow through these mile-long marked sections, to-PSL or to-reasonable, and you'll be fine (the time you'd spend at-PSL or at-reasonable, through these mile-long segments, will be inconsequential).

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post

Watch for striped VASCAR lines, either on the roadway proper or on shoulders - it's a sign of potential for aerial VASCAR enforcement. Slow through these mile-long marked sections, to-PSL or to-reasonable, and you'll be fine (the time you'd spend at-PSL or at-reasonable, through these mile-long segments, will be inconsequential).
    x2 in NY on this... they do have a plane that they take-up and use for enforcement as well.

Experienced

Thanks for all the help. Looks like ill put X band on because of Ohio.
    Lol these states all sound very intense compared SE MI. I'm in no rush so we wont be going way over PSL, but on the other hand we are going on vacation to see the cities, not the roads... Ill have have to keep my eyes open and we should be good. Thanks again.