Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: driving in P.A

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanistheroad
    No, PA State Troopers only use K band - stationary or instant on...

Ryan
    not tru. i was comin back from poconos a while ago and i got a hard hit of K around a coner ,then i saw a cop with a radar gun in his hand and my radar go full blast K band!!

Manufacturer

Coming home from the Guy of Lidar testing this weekend on PA 76, approached a drone at speed only to see a state trooper positioned (hidden) right by it as well!

Averted disaster by paying close attention to the surroundings.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanistheroad

No, PA State Troopers only use K band - stationary or instant on...

matt1020
    <<not tru. i was comin back from poconos a while ago and i got a hard hit of K around a coner ,then i saw a cop with a radar gun in his hand and my radar go full blast K band!![/quote]>>>

I should have added hand held gun as well for K.......... They do use these but I never have had them use the gun on me. So you got a rare find. They usually only use stationary cause it is less work. LOL You will see the side mounted canister on their cars on the back window. They love sitting behind corners/bridges etc.. I'm surprised he was a holding a gun????????
    Ryan

Good Citizen

Just to clear a few things up for the detail minded, I've lived in PA for over 40 years and we're kinda like the anti-Ohio here. First point: only the state police are allowed to use RADAR. There is no LIDAR. Local police are permitted VASCAR and sensor tripped devices like ESP.

Next, moving RADAR is not allowed (by state law) to be used at all. The units used by the PA State Police are far from state of the art as well. They are exclusively K band at this point. The "fixed mount" units are all Kustom Signals KR-10s or Troopers, but you rarely see them any more, at least where I live. They are never permanently mounted in the cruisers, the antennas are hung externally from whichever door window the Trooper wants to use for his situation. Handhelds have become far more common and are almost always Decatur Genesis Handhelds of various vintages although every now and then I see a Kustom HR-8/12 or Falcon being used.

Lead Foot

Do the PA State Police use VASCAR? Do locals use VASCAR on interstates? I used to hate it when NJ Troopers used VASCAR on the GS Parkway. I didn't get a clear picture of the patrol status on rt. 78, for example. Perhaps I am getting addled.

Good Citizen

Do the PA State Police use VASCAR? Do locals use VASCAR on interstates?
    PSP did have VASCAR at one time but I haven't seen a unit in one of their cars in over 25 years. They will use aircraft on occasion but the reference lines in my area (they must be 3/10th mile apart) haven't been maintained and are fairly faded.

There is an agreement that local police do not patrol Interstates unless PSP request help under "special circumstances" like DUI blitzes, high accident rates in an area, etc. Local police DO patrol US Routes even in sections that are built to interstate standards. In that case, the usual tactic is to sit at the top of an on-ramp and time the target from behind. I'm well used to spinning my head over my right shoulder to look back at ramps!! ;^)

Just an update on PA in the eastern part of PA, Philadelphia area barracks, Bethlehem area Barracks are now using 2 different types of radar guns, They are "testing" (actually using) K band and Ka band. They are using this during Operation Yellow Jacket, in which they are using PennDOT trucks to run radar. This sting operation in now in affect through out PA and they run it on all state owned highways and interstates. Most of the radar is now instant on with some units stationary, but the stationary units are much older, serveral years old. I have confirmed this with my 2 friends that are troppers in PA, one works in Troop M, and the other works in Troop K or KP as its known

Advanced Member

PA statie's is only certified for K-band radar nothing else!!!!!!!! Locals can only use VASCAR

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

PA statie's is only certified for K-band radar nothing else!!!!!!!! Locals can only use VASCAR
    Check out this link: http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...8-31/1231.html

Basically it says that as of 1998, Ka is an approved frequency for traffic RADAR in PA. That PSP hasn't used them until now isn't surpising (and certainly not because they're not allowed) because of the cost versus the old Kustom KR-10s and Decatur Genesis handhelds that appear good enough to write plenty of citations with.

Radar Fanatic

Default Radar band use in PA

I know for a fact, that the State Park Police, in the Del. water gap, (Rte. 209) use Stalker Ka band. Got blasted full on a week ago. The leo was coming towards me, so watch out. Freq. was 34.7 which I believe is stalker. One of the more "dangerous" units to stumble across.