Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: driving in P.A

Good Citizen

Default driving in P.A

i was driving though pa and i kept getting a K alreat. when i drove home it was during the day and i relized that the K alert i was getting was from construction signs(the big orange one's). they didnt show your speed or any thing they just shoot K band. any one have an idea what thoes are????

Radar Fanatic

There are several threads floating around about these signs. These stationary radar sources are called "drones," intended to set off your detector to slow you down. You can find them all over the country, and in some places they're even installed on things like school busses and construction equipment. I know where most of them are on the roads that I travel frequently but I'm still careful in those areas. I often see the state police hiding behind them.

Longsnowsm

My most recent trip back to the midwest I found that some farm equipment are barking a radar alarm. Actually a good idea since most of the time this equipment is moving like 30mph on a highway posted at 60mph... Accident looking for a place to happen... It got my attention and slowed me down. At least this use of radar makes sense... Those drones are just a PITA.

Longsnowsm

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    There are several threads floating around about these signs. These stationary radar sources are called "drones," intended to set off your detector to slow you down. You can find them all over the country, and in some places they're even installed on things like school busses and construction equipment. I know where most of them are on the roads that I travel frequently but I'm still careful in those areas. I often see the state police hiding behind them.
    This is true but around here its not K band drones being used its X band drones and they are all over the place.

These signs are drones. I know a guy that sells them to DOT of the states including PA. As stated in previous posted they are intended to slow drivers down with detectors. Cops know this as well. My one buddy in Michigan got a ticket with a cop behind the sign. He thought it was the typical K or X and got cocky and ignored it. Well needless to say he was nabbed.

I cover PA/OH for my job and the drones do X & K band. PA mostly is K which by no coincidence is what PA leos use for radar...... lol

Ryan

Advanced Member

Drove through PA ran into 5 drones and no staties seen or heard on the scanner

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Drove through PA ran into 5 drones and no staties seen or heard on the scanner
    yea i just saw one PA cop and he was running KA but he already pulled some one over

Experienced

From what I have heard PA uses K-band, instant on. I have driven a few trips threw PA on route 80 east/west and 81 North/south. I have seen a few troopers but they never had their radar guns on.

As for the drones, there are a sh*t ton of them on both sides of the highway, they shoot out K-band and on the X50 I can pick it up miles away whcih makes it even more annoying.

PA also has the airplane police, watch out. I've never seen what but I count my blessings because I drive way to fast in that state.

Advanced Member

this thread is better off in 'Speed Trap Info' forum

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

No, PA State Troopers only use K band - stationary or instant on... I would say 80% of the time it is stationary behind hills and overpasses. They don't use any other band like Ka ...... Sometimes use can get a ka false alarm.. State can use vascar by airplane which I have never encountered my whole life in PA
    Local use vascar only no radar..

Ryan