Corvallis, OR

Default Lots of X in Oregon

I have lived in Oregon for many years, but I have only owned a RD since the beginning of August when I purchased my V1.

This last weekend I took a trip from Corvallis to Lostine. It was almost entirely comprised of freeway driving - I-5, 205, and I-84 - with a about 60 miles (one way) of highway driving - Hwy 82.

I have to say that after reading through these forums for the past couple of months, I was very surprised to find that the most often encountered radar on my entire trip was I/O X.

Lets start with the beginning of the trip.

Heading up through the I-5 corridor you will find a healthy combination of just about everything. I have seen Marion County Sheriffs using C/O K, unmarked Oregon State Police using I/O Ka, marked OSP using I/O X and OSP in general using Lidar.

Moving north into the greater Portland area I found two other OSP troopers using X. I can't speak for any local or county LEO's in that area though.

Heading east on I-84 toward the Columbia River Gorge you will find a lot of state cop's. Every single one I passed that had their radar on was using X, sometimes in C/O. On my way over I did get one frontal laser alert that lasted about 1-2 seconds. It was the first time I heard the V1 laser alert and it was certainly a wake up call. It was dark so I never did see who/where it was coming from, but it was in the middle of nowhere, somewhere past Ione. I should also mention that I did come across one Sheriff (not sure what county I was in) running with C/O K in a marked car with no lights.

The X encounters continue with OSP all the way into Wallowa County. They drive brand new chargers but are still using I/O Front/Back X. Pretty surprising. I've been told by someone from the WCSO, that even in Wallowa County, the two OSP road troopers have lidar. I have never seen them use it or heard of anyone getting a laser ticket, so perhaps they don't have it or don't use it.

I didn't run into any WCSO deputies so I'm not sure what band they use but I do know that they use I/O.

That about sums it up. Just thought I would do my part in providing some info.

Thanks for the great forum guys!

Old Timer
    Great Lakes

Default Re: Lots of X in Oregon

Thx for the update on Oregon.

Power User
    St. Petersburg, Fl

Default Re: Lots of X in Oregon

Yes oregon uses alot of x but for some reason when asked what states use x oregon doesnt get mentioned as much as Ohio and New Jersey. I found out by myself, passing serveral highway patrol looking like they were using radar but never getting a warning. I then turned on X and found almost 75% were using X. They use alot of laser from bridge overpasses near la grande Or, could be what you got on your laser alert. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Freebird; 08-27-2008 at 07:46 PM.