Newcomer

Default Which band are LEO uses in California

Hello All

Any live in the bay are or California have an idea which band LEO use for their radar.

I am about to disable x band and hope that I hope this is the right thing to do

Thanks

Professional

What I saw was CHP Ka only, and local cops like Dublin, San Ramon, Danville, Camp Parks were a mix of K and Ka. The speed sign trailers were always K.

I've been out of the area for not quite 3 years now.

I never saw laser, but I know that CHP has it. I did see the aerial enforcement working I-5 and other places. 45.02 MHz the Ivory channel was usually used.

Ed

Good Citizen

This information is legally accessable.

I got a ticket once and was afraid it was via the POP method (I had the Cobra at the time) and I wrote my local county under the Freedom of Information Act to learn the make/model/band/serial of the gun that was being shot at me.

I figure you could write state, and your surrounding counties to learn of what guns and bands are used!

Newcomer

Based on what you say, look like LEO do not use X band so I can disable x band on my V1, with the option like other suggest : 1,7,b,E,F,G all pointing down

Thanks to all

Quote Originally Posted by fast_car
    Based on what you say, look like LEO do not use X band so I can disable x band on my V1, with the option like other suggest : 1,7,b,E,F,G all pointing down

Thanks to all
    I basically live in both Santa Barbara and San Diego, and commute between the two at least once a month. I have X-band turned off and have never regretted that. K band i leave on (only because I am paranoid). The ONLY thing I've ever seen CHP (or any other LEO) use is Ka. They are generally smart with it and don't leave it running. So, watch for instant-on and always have someone traveling in front of you when speeding, preferably faster than you. K-band is used in "your speed is" signs, big deal. I guess worry about K in rural areas (maybe?), but I don't even bother slowing down for K anymore. Doesn't mean I'm a little nervous, but it's only been falses or speed trailers. And, I don't speed in residential, so I'm not going to get pegged by a LEO trying to trap people by waiting by a speed trailer.

Newcomer

I live in north San Diego County, CA. They have used K, Ka and Laser here mainly, no POP or X. I've had mostly Ka from most CHP officers who have left them on in speedtraps down here, and usually I'm well informed by my X50 when they show up. About Half of the CHP Cars have their units turned off, and even when I'm dead close to them, I get no signal at all, not even an X. However, when they are setting up a speedtrap, most of them just leave their radars on Constant On mode, and some moving also have it on Constant On. They usually patrol or speedtrap a lot in the beginning of the week (Monday)

I've encoutered Both a mix of K and Ka band radar guns from the Escondido Police, although I have slight doubts about the K-band in Escondido since I was mainly driving by a bunch of Supermarkets when my X50 went off and no cops were around in most cases. Ka-Band never falses though, and usually there is an Instant-On trap set up by the Escondido Police on Motorcycles. Watch out for them in school zones mainly, they like to bust people speeding there even when school's long over and no kids are out.

As for Laser, I had 3 encounters. One was when I was on the CA 163 southbound to I-8 Westbound interchange, but I didn't see the officer at all (he may have been further up ahead on the 163, or it could have been from the airport which is only about 10-20 miles away). The second one was in a residential zone in Escondido on Lincoln Street, and I thought for sure I was dead meat since I was going 45 in a 35 Zone, but I didn't see the cop there either. The 3rd Laser encounter was real though, and scared the heck outta me. I got zapped on Barham Drive and Twin Oaks Valley Road in San Marcos, and stepped on the brakes. He was a CSU San Marcos Police Officer who had a laser gun in his hand, and I thought for sure I was gonna get a ticket. Turned out though that I was saved by the X50, since it warned me in time enough for me to slow down. I had my X50 mounted low in both cases.

My X50 settings:

Bands (MOD):
    X off
    K on
    Ka On
    Laser On
    POP Off

City Std
    Brightest Display
    Tones Std
    Dark Std
    Automute On