Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default The all new speedtrap.org

Experienced

Default Re: The all new speedtrap.org

Yeah I saw this a while back on a motorcycle forum. I forgot about it though. Thanks for the reminder. That other site has much more though.

Professional

are they making it where you can put a picture or just a map of the spots.....

Hey guys/gals... I hope you don't mind me dropping in but I am the developer for the new speedtrap site.... as for some of the questions...

are they making it where you can put a picture or just a map of the spots.....
    When you add a trap it generates the maps and does all of the dirty work for you

It goes kind of like this... Once you register you can click on the add a speed trap link. On that page you select a state/city to help you narrow your search down. After that a google map appears on the page allowing you to select the exact location of the speed trap by dragging and dropping a marker on the map. Then you fill out a description and modify the location details if needed.

Again sorry if this is an unwanted post... I would however be very beneficial of you could possibly supply some feedback. The good and the bad.... As we are still working on the site it would be very helpful.

Also as we have converted the old data from the old site some of it is incomplete or inaccurate. We are working on a way to allow users to edit the traps and submit revisions ect.... Its kind of hard working with over 24k speedtraps and trying to make then all relevant and useful....

Also as the name of the site says are you looking (as a collective group) for anything special from a site like speedtrap.org? Any special features ect?

Thanks for your time,
    Casper

Yoda of Radar

/\ /\ /\

By no means is a 'product' or in your case a 'service' rep unwelcome to this board. (as long as no sales pitched are involved)... which you clearly are not doing. We enjoy having reps come on here willing to ask and answer questions to make their products/services better.

I just joined the site today(speedtrap.org) and I found 2 things:
    First off, free-services are always a welcome addition to this hobby, as so many things in our hobby of speed-trap countermeasures cost an arm and a leg.

1) I found that often the maps of speed traps and locations described do not 'match up' at all. Granted it is the users input that makes the location present on the google map, I found descriptions of places to be nearly on the opposite side of the city, from where the 'marker' was placed. (User input error, but a big error none-the-less.)

2) Also all this information is useful, however, unless I can be notified, or save this data somehow to a portable device... there is simply no way someone could apply it for a road-trip. So its great for around the town you live, but if you already live there... then you most likely know the trap areas.

Edit: How did you find this site?
    Last edited by AirMoore; 09-08-2008 at 04:44 PM.

I found this site via the logs on the web server. When ever you visit a link from one site to another it can tell which site/url you came from... Which in this case was this post

Also thank you very much for your input. As for the maps discrepancy it comes from the old site and its data. I did the best I could to convert the data(traps) to something useful. This should improve once more users register and start posting/commenting/editing...

As for the exportation of data... I am completely new to this world... So what are you looking for? Like csv dumps of the data ect?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    I found this site via the logs on the web server. When ever you visit a link from one site to another it can tell which site/url you came from... Which in this case was this post

Also thank you very much for your input. As for the maps discrepancy it comes from the old site and its data. I did the best I could to convert the data(traps) to something useful. This should improve once more users register and start posting/commenting/editing...

As for the exportation of data... I am completely new to this world... So what are you looking for? Like csv dumps of the data ect?
    1) Very cool, nice info to know...

2) I understand the discrepancy, again, props on your efforts...

3) Check this (link) out, posted by a moderator on here. (I rather recently started using this service with my GPS, simply brilliant.)
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...le-phones.html

Good Citizen

Casper,
    One thing that will help with mapping the speed traps to be more accurate is to have a birds eye view of the Google maps. This will help (me) pinpoint the exact location the cop sits side streets highways etc.
    Thanks Matt

Quote Originally Posted by transammatt View Post
    Casper,
    One thing that will help with mapping the speed traps to be more accurate is to have a birds eye view of the Google maps. This will help (me) pinpoint the exact location the cop sits side streets highways etc.
    Thanks Matt
    This is how we mark the traps....

Screenshot of the add a trap page...

Click here for a full screenshot of the add a trap.

After this is done we are left with valid lat & long coordinates... Which we can use for other purposes/features.

Professional

I registered about 30 mins ago and the site said it would send a confirmation email on how to activate my account, and I still haven't received it. Im just reporting it to you in case there is a problem. Does it normally take awhile to get the email?