Professional

Default Texas require Front License Plate?

If so, then can I put it on the right side of the car behind windshield? Is that ok?

Good Citizen

Default Re: Texas require Front License Plate?

Thats where I have mine at.

the law says it has to be seen from the front BUT doesnt say it has to be in the front bumper.

now the only bad thing is that a cop can pull you over and use the excuse that they couldnt see your plate.

i gotten pulled over once for this in san antonio just told me to put it on.

Professional

Thanks Bobby for heads up. I was just wondering if Cops had the right to pull you over for no front bumper plate but had it under the windshield. I don't know if I should do that but I def. would do it if Lasers are used in my area. I don't want to risk myself being pulled over.

Speedtrap Crasher

Just a note on license plates in the front windshield.

When we were testing laser jammers last spring SpeedDemon had his plate installed on his front windshield. With his single head LPP he was jamming very well on center mass shots but when I shot the windshield we got a nice PT.

I suggest running a fake plate or non at all.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Professional

Eric, thanks for note.

Are you suggesting me run no real front plate but a note behind the windshield?

Wouldn't it be better without hassle of being pulled over using License Plate behind windshield instead of not having one?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post

When we were testing laser jammers last spring SpeedDemon had his plate installed on his front windshield. With his single head LPP he was jamming very well on center mass shots but when I shot the windshield we got a nice PT.

on mine you can hardly see it since I drive a fbody the wipers kind of block it so its kind of hard to hit it tehre with laser or so I think

Speedtrap Crasher

Quote Originally Posted by An0nym0us View Post
    Eric, thanks for note.

Are you suggesting me run no real front plate but a note behind the windshield?

Wouldn't it be better without hassle of being pulled over using License Plate behind windshield instead of not having one?
    There's two ways to fake a plate. The expensive way is to buy a CR8APL8. They've got a website, you pick your state then your plate design and type in your letters. A few days later a formed plastic replica of your plate shows up in the mail. It is not perfect so they supply a cover and frame which will get you pass close inspections. The CR8APL8 I had on my C6 was not perfect at all but was good enough to go unoticed during two different traffic stops.

The second way is to photocopy your plate, laminate it then stick it in a plate frame and cover. It will not have the raised letters of the CR8APL8 but will be hardly noticeable from on-coming lanes of traffic.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by An0nym0us View Post
    If so, then can I put it on the right side of the car behind windshield? Is that ok?
    I *REALLY* wish someone would sticky this thread -- this question is always asked here.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...ne-sticky.html

From the court case in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by State V. Losoya

Drozd testified that he noticed that the pickup did not have a license plate mounted on the front bumper. Instead, the plate was wedged between the dashboard and windshield.

The apparent purpose of section 502.404(a) is to facilitate the identification of a motor vehicle by its license plate number whether it is moving toward or away from the viewer. While a place to display the license plate is usually found on the front bumper, the statute does not expressly require the use of this location. The display of the plate in some other place or manner is not inconsistent with the language or purpose of the statute. The officers testified that they could see the license plate in the windshield. We conclude that Losoya's display of his front license plate in the manner shown here did not violate section 502.404(a) as to give the officers grounds to reasonably suspect a violation of that statute./

The State also argues, as it did below, that the evidence shows a violation of transportation code section 502.409(a)(5) and (7), which at the time in question prohibited the display of a license plate that "has letters, numbers, or other identification marks that because of blurring matter are not plainly visible at all times during daylight" or that "has a coating, covering, or protective material that distorts angular visibility or detectability." Act of May 30, 1999, 76th Leg., R.S., ch. 1189, § 17, 1999 Tex. Gen. Laws 4153, 4161 (Tex. Transp. Code Ann. § 502.409(a)(5), (7), since amended). The State refers to Drozd's testimony that he could not read Losoya's license plate because of the glare of the sun on the windshield.

There is no evidence that the letters and numbers on Losoya's front license plate were blurred, obscured, or otherwise unreadable because any material on either the plate or the windshield. We do not believe that sunlight can reasonably be considered to be "blurring matter." There is also no evidence that the windshield distorted angular visibility or detectability. We find no basis in this record for reasonably suspecting a violation of section 502.409(5) or (7). We overrule the State's first issue or point of error.

The order granting the motion to suppress is affirmed.
    Last edited by Lucky225; 10-09-2008 at 02:47 PM.