Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Radar bands in AZ?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting, so I tried to find an old post about this before asking, but to no avail. I've got myself a Passtport 8500 X50 rev 5, and it does a pretty good job of picking up everything down here. Problem is, it also picks up a lot of X-band hits, and while I know for a fact that the vast majority of these are gas station security systems, I've been X-banded a couple of times with police in the area as well (expert mode only showed one X-band hit each time).

Long story short, does anyone here know what bands police in Arizona (primarily DPS and the departments in the Phoenix metro area) use? I can confirm constant K-band, constant K photo radar, constant Ka-band, instant-on Ka, and lots of pacing by DPS on I-10.

I'll make a point of letting you guys know when I run past speed traps in the Phoenix area--right now, look out in the Ahwatukee Foothills part of town. Police on motorcycles with instant-on Ka are becoming a fixture along Chandler, Ray, and (especially) Pecos.

Default First radar blast

I unwrapped my first radar detector last week, a passport 8500 x50 (red-I like EXP mode). I'm still familiarizing myself with its operation, but I can report my first radar encounter with a Pima County, Arizona sheriff.

I was heading west on Sunrise and began getting a weak K band signal, presumably from La Encantada shops, and then saw a stronger second K band alert so I slowed down. When I came around that blind trun, there was Mr. Deputy. In my rear view I saw him pull out after me so I decided take a U-turn ahead of a large bunch of traffic heading east, thinking he might ignore me as too much effort. It worked (or else I had slowed down enough in sufficient time to avoid getting nailed by that K-band gun). :wink: I U-turned again to head west and bumped into the same Deputy a second time further down Sunrise. He was still running his K band in constant on mode. I can report the X50 performed great in both encounters with that particular gun.

Anyway, I have hit a ton of false X-band around Tucson and some false K.

This morning, I had my second "encounter" of sorts. I was heading to work by way of Congress Street downtown. As I soon I hit the straightaway, my X50 reported a strong and steadily increasing K band signal. I thought for sure that machine was going nuts, and I was going to have to replace or repair already. Sure enough though, about three blocks later I find a Deputy's big nasty SUV parked on the north side of the street, with his gun on, again a K-band constant on. After this second encounter, I am very pleased and getting confident in the X50's operation.

Cheetah Rep

DPS has mostly ka, but they DO still use some older handheld k band units, that also have a dash mount for moving mode.

As for Tucson, S.O. (sheriffs) have k and ka band radar. Sunrise and Swan south of Sunrise are some of their favorite spots on the north side.
    Also, the fully marked SO units are not part of the traffic unit, they just have the option of checking out a radar gun for the shift, so not all fully marked units have radar.

I think Marana uses ka or k, don't remember for sure.

TPD (Tucson police) use laser and ka. i still have not come across any TPD unit running k band since i came back here last year.
    However, the university police still use k band. they like to run radar near the campus on side streets that fall into their jurisdiction.

TPD motors and unmarked units run Laser. some hotspots include downtown, Campbell ave, Kolb, south of Speedway, and along 5th ave, among others.

The various tribal police use k and ka.

No x in Tucson, but i just found out yesterday that Eloy PD still uses x band.

This came third party from a Maricopa Co. Deputy. i haven't confirmed this, since i have no desire to drive up there to find out, but nonetheless, be aware, since Eloy does like to run radar on I-10 where it passes through Eloy.

Anything new and i'll add it here.

Professional

That's odd. I spoke with Roy via PM about some Arizona laws/bands/etc., and he informed me that there are no departments left in AZ using X band--those hits I reported back when I posted that the first time (I think it was my second post to this forum ) must have been falses. I haven't driven through Eloy with the X50, just with an old detector that once belonged to my dad while moving out from Florida, and the only officer we saw there (couldn't see if it was state or local, and I honestly didn't know the colors for AZ DPS yet) was running Ka band--which was clearly constant-on, and which we didn't detect until about 8 seconds before we passed him.

Regardless, I don't plan on turning X band back on anytime soon. All the falses made me want to throw my detector out the window more than once--you have no idea how annoying they were.

Wait--you live in Tucson. Of course you do!

Cheetah Rep

Yeah, i didn't think there was either. like i said, this came from a reliable source, but the person that told him may have been mistaken about the band. either way FYI for anyone going through there.

DPS is mainly white units, but they do have unmarked impalas, blue and dark green, along with blue and maroon units, crown vic's i think?
    probably some others too.

Also, the tribal police have laser too, along with Oro Valley.

Thanks, guys, for that information. RacerX, have you had any laser encounter worth sharing with us who don't have Blinder's?

Professional

AZ DPS also has a silver GTO, unmarked, that runs through Sedona, Flag, and around the Grand Canyon very often. The tactics the car employs border on entrapment, as I've actually seen the officer pull up right behind someone, rev his engine and do the "fall back, pull up fast" thing, then as soon as the unsuspecting goat picks up speed to keep this GTO from rear-ending them, he lights up like a Christmas tree. Just one of the many questionable tactics employed by that car--beware of it if you're in northern Arizona.

That GTO in Sedona is a great reason not to use the brake light cutoff switch that has been discussed elsewhere on these boards.

Cheetah Rep

Good info about that GTO. If that's the case, someone needs to video that, then call in a reckless driver. then see his reaction.

As for laser, nothing notable as of yet, but just be aware of the hot spots i mentioned.

Also you may or may not know about Oro Valley. they would write up there own mothers. They are extremely strict going through there. they have laser and will use it as far as they can target. they picked off a large truck at 6000' away. i didn't think a ticket was issued, but my buddy thought one was, so i'm waiting to hear for sure. either way, just be aware.
    I forget the speed limit going up Oracle Hwy, but it's lower than expected and they run enforcement day and night there, several units.

Around town all motor cops use laser, but they have unmarked units as well that use laser.

If it fits your budget, i would recommend looking into Veil and a good laser jammer. without some counter measures or a very stealth vehicle, you are pretty much screwed with just a detector.
    Unlike radar, you usually won't get any advanced warnings, and the laser can lock on in less than 1 second, even from 2000' away.

If i worked in town or drove around there every day i would probably have more info, but i'll update as i run across stuff.

RacerX, thanks again for your information. Same to you, bcorby.

If your countermeasures fail you in Oro Valley, be sure to ask the officer to write your ticket under the Town Code. That way, you won't get points assessed on your license and there will be no reportable violation for your insurance co. to use against you, obviating the need to attend that H-E-double-hockey-sticks known as traffic school.