Thread: Trip to Indiana

Professional

Default Trip to Indiana

So I am planning on driving to Terra Haute, Indiana after Christmas to visit my grandparents and to save some cash will be driving from south florida to Indiana. trip is about 2400 miles door to door. My question is what type of enforcement is used in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana? Also how are the road conditions in the dead of winter roads pretty clear unless a blizard rolls in? any info will be greatly appreciated. I have a V1 and soon to purchase a LI.

Experienced

Default Re: Trip to Indiana

I drive from Miami to the NW suburbs of Chicago, down to Champaign, and back to Miami twice a year, so I know 95% of your route pretty well.

Jammers are illegal in Tennessee, so that's usually the leg that I allow my wife to drive while I nap.

I've been pulled over at night on the Florida Turnpike south of Orlando with laser from a turnaround in the median (received a warning--the officer liked our dogs...) and again on the return trip in Perry, GA at night with laser. I have no idea where the LEO was hiding. I was doing 20-25 over, $165 fine, no points, no reporting to insurance, etc. Very fair. I was using a Vector 995 at the time. I haven't had any incidents since upgrading to my V1 and installing my LI.

I'm pretty sure there are drones of some sort on I-475 bypassing Macon.

I've been told by GA residents to categorically ignore all the menacing signage about speed cameras. I have, and I haven't received any nasty mail. Try not to go through Atlanta during either rush hour, but we caught the tail end of it once and it paled in comparison to bad Miami traffic.

It's a pretty easy drive. It gets fun and twisty for a while in TN.

As far as the road conditions go, I guess that depends. I grew up in the midwest, so driving in snow is no big deal to me, but if you have little or no experience with it, I'd suggest you use caution. Don't tailgate, don't stomp your brakes, never come to a complete stop, etc. I'm sure a quick google search will help you with snow/winter driving tips more than I can off the top of my head.

If you've got summer/performance tires on your car, you'd be wise to switch them out before heading up.

Depending on when you'll be making the trip, maybe you'll be my rabbit or I'll be yours...

Have a safe trip!

Old Timer

Indiana still uses X band so keep it on there. Chattanoogo City pd in Tennessee occasionally uses x band too.

Professional

Ok so I guess once i get out of florida i should just run x band on?

be careful in georgia tons of cops every sec. shootn laser, i drove oregon to tampa and through kentucky past the speed way they had radar there paceing on my tail at 90mph there sneaky bastards at night

Radar Fanatic

Laser is used by ISP on the Indy area interstates. They use mostly PL III and the ProLite models. Most of the ISP radar is Ka now either 33.8 or 35.5. There are still some X band radars in use so I would not turn it off.

Snow removal on central and southern Indiana highways is horrible. INDOT does not like to work on weekends. We had about 1.5 inches of snow today and the roads were a mess. I-69 was closed due to the number of wrecks. So beware if it snows!

GTO_04