Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K in FL?

Default K in FL?

I found a thread on here listing what is being used in various states... according to the thread Laser, Ka, and K are used in FL. I've been driving in FL with my V1 in full logic mode now for over 2 years and have never seen a true K report, though the false positives go off ALL THE TIME. Can anyone verify that cops in FL use K?

The false positives annoy me so much I take the thing down sometimes, because I have been too lazy to program out K, and cannot stand the beeping anymore.

Professional

I didn't start writing down details until after I joined this board. Since then I've seen K band used in Daytona Beach, Daytona Beach Shores, and by the Volusia County Sherriff's.

I've seen more Ka than K band in use, and my theory is the newer units that have been purchased are Ka. Over time as things are retired I think you'll see less and less K band.

Ed

Interesting. I grew up in that area but live in Orlando area now, although I drive to DeLand frequently and NSB and Port Orange less frequently. Still never seen K anywhere. :? Wish I could get rid of these damn false positives...

Experienced

I live in the Orlando area. The Orange County Sheriff Department use constant on K alert. I see this about once a week or maybe more or less. But they use a lot of Ka band mostly. (Orlando Police)

Advanced Member

this thread is better off in the speed trap info forum

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

I live in Tampa, near USF, and I get hit with K all the time. Usually about once every 1.5-2 weeks from varying departments, Tampa Police, Temple Terrace Police, Hillsborough County Sherrif, FHP. Actually got hit with it this morning on my way to work (County Sherriff nailed my rabbit). I can also confirm that the FHP uses K as they pegged me a good 3 or 4 times the last time I drove to Miami.

Professional

I grew up in and around Jacksonville, and while JSO prefers Ka and Lidar, Jacksonville Beach and Atlantic Beach both had some K-band units in use as of 8/03 (last time I was driving down there with a detector).

Power User

Here in south florida, and of coarse traveling through Orlando, Tampa, and back down through Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, K BAND is still in use by local police departments! Troopers in the area are predominately KA BAND. Recently Laser is showing up all over the place here in South Florida.

In Gansville at the university, the campus police were using X BAND! I really dont know how that would stand up in court, but gesh, heavens, dont speed on campus folks!

Professional

15B-2.0081 Interim Minimum Design Criteria for Radar Units.
    Specific Authority 316.1906 FS.
    Law Implemented 316.1906 FS.
    History—New 7-12-82m Formerly 15B-2.081, Amended 1-1-90, Repealed 10-18-94.
    15B-2.0082 Minimum Design Criteria for Radar Units.
    (1) Radar speed measuring devices shall meet the design criteria as set forth in Chapter 3, Subpart A (s.
    1221.1 – 1221.4) and Subpart (s. 1221.11 – 1221.24) of the National Highway Traffic Safety
    Administration Technical Report, January 1994, D. O. T. HS 808-69, entitled, “Model Minimum
    Performance Specifications for Police Traffic Radar Devices,” which is incorporated by reference.
    Copies of this material may be obtained by contacting the Department of Highway Safety and Motor
    Vehicles (DHSMV), Division of Florida Highway Patrol, Telecommunications Administrator, Neil
    Kirkman Building, Tallahassee, Florida 32099-0500, or the National Technical Information Service,
    Springfield, Virginia 22161.
    (2) All radar units used in this State on or after January 1, 1995 shall be designed to operate in the
    following frequency ranges as assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for operation of
    Doppler radar radio-location units.
    24.050 – 24.250 GHz (K-Band) (Common
    33.400 – 36.000 GHz (Ka – Band) Referrals)

The radar must have a Doppler audio operating in the range 300 Hz to 4.0 KHz.
    I do not believe it would stand up in a Florida court, due to this.

Ed

Power User

I would agree, just a PIA and a waste of time going to court, it baffles me, one of the biggest universities and the campus PD is outfitted from the stone age, there crusers were not looking at all that pretty either.