Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Speedtraps I've noticed (Southern CA)

**Updated 12-5-06**

Hey all, I live in San Diego County, and do most of my commuting in Valley Center, Escondido, San Marcos, Temecula, and occasionally further south. Here are some speed traps that I have known LEOs to set up in the area:

Valley Center (CHP Patrol Cars)

Cool Valley Ranch Road and Cole Grade Rd. It is at the bottom of the hill.(Ka Band Constant On)

Valley Center Rd. and Woods Valley Rd. Coming down the grade there is occasionally one CHP speedtraping by a local market to get downhillers. (Ka Band Constant On)

Valley Center Rd. and Miller Rd. He's right at Pepperoni's just waiting sometimes in the parking lot to trap people. (Ka Band Constant On)

Also, always look around for moving CHPs, since some leave their radars on and others do not when here. There is also a K-band (24.140-24.158 Ghz) speed sign on Valley Center Road going down the grade into Escondido that construction workers left up after the grade was completed to two lanes.

Escondido (Escondido Police Motorcycles and Patrol Cars)

Valley Center Rd. to Escondido Downhill Grade. Escondido Motorcycle Cops like to trap people coming down the two-lane hill just before it goes to one lane and before you get to Lake Wohlford Rd. It's right after the border of the city/county and after the center divder is gone. They are usually there in the mornings during rush hours. (Ka Band 35.5 *Instant On*)

Valley Parkway and Orange Glen Elementary School. They are usually here on their motorcycles waiting to nail someone going over 25 when school is getting out around 2:30pm. (Ka Band *Instant On*)

Grand Avenue and Ash Street. They are downhill from ash street near the backside of the Home Depot, waiting to trap people going over 35 coming down the hill at the Eagle's Point Apartment Complex Driveway. (Ka Band Constant or Instant On)

Lincoln and Rose Street. I did not see this cop, but he triggered LASER on my RD when I was doing 50 in a 35 zone, but I didn't get a ticket. This was actually a confirmed false, EPD does not have laser at all.

Mission Street just west of Rock Springs Road. There were 2 patrol cars here zapping people. (Ka Band Instant On)

El Norte Parkway and Centre City Parkway. One or 2 patrol cars were around here running Radar on some sidestreets (Ka Band Instant or Constant On).

El Norte Parkway and Rose St. One Patrol Car running a speedtrap (Ka Instant On)

San Marcos (CSUSM and San Macros City Sheriff)

Twin Oaks Valley and Barham Drive. Just up ahead before you get to CSUSM at the next light (Craven Road), sometimes a CSUSM cop will be sitting with his window rolled down in the exit to the main center there on the right. Beware, for he has: (LASER)

Barham Drive alongside the freeway up towards Twin Oaks Valley Rd. after Woodland Parkway. I have encoutered very strange things here. Sometimes I've gotten a K-band alert (4 bars, 24.066Ghz) that I had thought was a door opener, but yesterday (10-3-05), I saw the sheriff of San Marcos cruising down the road. Other days the X50 has been quiet during the same time of the day I drive home from college, so it's definitely a real radar signal. (K Band Instant On)

Notes: I haven't seen too many speedtraps here, but there may be other areas to the further east by Rancho Santa Fe which I have no doubt have more speedtraps. I just haven't commuted there too much. CA Highway 78 is not enforced very well by the CHP, most of them actually speed themselves on there! (Hippocrits!) I usually see everyone going at least 85 MPH.

San Diego-Riverside Border (I-15)

Old Castle/Gopher Canyon Rd Exit and I-15. Look for CHP if you get off this exit underneath the freeway overpass. They usually are in the shadows, and I've seen more than one person get pulled over. Also, if you continue on Old Castle Rd, look for them in the "Traffic Calmed Area" where the speed limit is 45MPH. (Constant on Ka)

Rainbow Valley Blvd. and I-15. I had a strange occurance on my RD, a sudden full blast of K-band. Not sure who was using it, but I bet it was a local LEO from either Temecula or Fallbrook. (Instant On K)

Notes: Look for CHP on the sides of the freeway here running Constant On Ka Band. Some don't have it on, and might (but unlikely) be running Airplane VASCAR. I don't think VASCAR is in use too much since gas prices are way high now, and planes need gas just like cars, so CHP just use their KA Guns to catch more people than the planes. I'm sure they use more VASCAR up further north in the LA areas and the I-5 though.

Temecula

South CA 79 and I-15. I picked up a weak Ka Signal near the gas stations (Arco and Shell) off the freeway here. Not sure if it was CHP or a local LEO. (Instant or Constant Ka)

Rancho California Rd. onramp to I-15 Southbound. I saw 2 Temecula Motorcycle Police that had pulled someone over and had their Radar units still on. My X50 Detected Ka and then POP?! I think the Pop was actually the detector just falsing cause I got more Pops as I approached the Cops. (35.523Ghz Ka Band Constant On)

I hope this helps everyone. Please let me know if you have additional speedtraps you'd like to add here for San Diego or Riverside Counties that you've experienced. Also, if you guys know what CHP and other LEOs in my area are using (which Radar Guns exactly), that would be very useful to me, as it's hard for me to stop and identify each gun they use while commuting back and forth to school and college. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Newcomer

Highway 78 is scary....everytime I'm on it, I see an accident.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by DBcooperM12
    Highway 78 is scary....everytime I'm on it, I see an accident.
    Yeah seriously, it's like racer central. I always have to drive it on my way to CSUSM for the student teacher credential program. Luckily, during rush hour (7:30am and 2:30pm) the traffic is slow, but it can still be a bear. I rarely see anyone pulled over on the 78, but on the I-15 though, there's always at least 1 or 2 a week.

Newcomer

Updated Speed Traps. I found a Sheriff in San Marcos Running K-Band yesterday.

Cheetah Rep

Thanks for the updates, keep em coming.

I still have friends there and still get back there when i can, so it's nice to know the latest info.

Newcomer

http://www.10news.com/news/5031696/detail.html

Guys, Go to that link above. CHP is gonna be out in bigger force on the local freeways around here at least starting October 28th (or so they say). I dunno how much they are going to be on the CA 78, but I saw one of them the other day (wedensday 10-5) at about 7:30am with Ka 34.7 GHz full blast going eastbound towards Escondido from San Marcos.

10-6-05, Aprox. 3:00pm
    I ran into 2 Local Escondido Police, one in a Patrol Car using an instant on Ka 35.508Ghz Speed Trap on El Norte Parkway just past Rose St. Another was a Motorcycle going down the Grade to Escondido from Valley Center on a Motorcycle Running Ka 35.487GHz Constant On as I was heading up home to Valley Center.

Also, a general Pattern that I have noticed: CHP use frequency 34.7GHz whereas Local LEOs use 35.5Ghz (my detector sometimes messes up and sees 33.8Ghz when it first detects these Kas, and sometimes POPs after detecting KAs if I have Pop on).

Saturday, 10-15-05 Approx. 7:45am
    Ka 34.7Ghz went off on my X50 today while cruising down the 78 Freeway from escondido to San Marcos. The CHP officer had pulled someone over on the Eastbound side of the freeway, and he was hard to see since he had an all-white car. I've rarely seen CHP use those all-white cars, so be careful guys if you see white cars moving on the freeway that look like police cars, they aren't as easy to spot as the normal black-white CHP.

Same Day, 12:30pm
    Ka 34.804GHz went off on X50 while on the I-5 freeay northbound around Oceanside Blvd., the CHP was cruising behind me, and he sped on ahead for a while. I could see his digital radar display 65 as he passed me, then the X50 quieted down. Up till a few miles, he had pulled someone over, and then the X50 went off as I passed by, and then went quiet again.

Newcomer

Updated speed trap journal.

Suf Daddy

Default Great detailed info .........................

Great info man!
    -Suf Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tifas-Revenge
    Updated speed trap journal.

Newcomer

Week of 10-24-05 to 10-28-05

I've been driving up the I-15 Northbound to Temecula and back (southbound) to Valley Center (Gopher Canyon Rd.). I've noticed some CHPs patrolling with KA Stalkers (34.704 to 34.688GHz) on Constant On on the opposite sides of the Freeway. Some of them are easier to see than others, and usually they drive in the black/white cars. I usually don't see them on the same side of the freeway I'm driving on. However, My X50 picked up a Weak KA signal (usually it says 33.200 and 36.600 on the X50 if it can't identify the frequency) on Wedensday (10-26), and then I drove up about 4 miles and then I got the strong constant on blast of KA from a CHP running a Stalker on the other side of the freeway. I noticed that the weather was foggy and misty that morning (6:45am), so does that have any affect on Radar Detection Range on Ka Bands or could explain why I picked up such a weak signal from far away that faded out?

Experienced

i like this thread...i wish you did more driving a little higher in cali, the Tri county area of LA-OC-Riverside