Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Staites

Good Citizen

Default NY Staites

What have people encountered in NY. We have alot of wooded medians that they love to hide in and shoot I/O or C/O. Like to face traffic just after a wooded area or in the area. Our on and off ramps in WNY go up or down to exist where they will sit facing you on the off ramp or up on an on-ramp facing the flow of traffic. This is very hard to detect and impossible with I/O.

Just realized spelled Staties wrong......
    Last edited by Matt; 02-13-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling of title is wrong

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: NY Staites

Haha, I am from CNY... I visit my GF in WNY at her college.

I travel from (approx) the Syracuse area, all the way to the Dunkirk/Fredonia exit all on the thruway. (~170Miles)

That (especially west of Rochester and East of Buffalo... THE GAUNTLET) is by far the most unbelievable enforcement I have ever seen anywhere.

They use mostly I/O (Ka) and Laser. For the laser... you can buy a jammer, but beware... they shoot both front and rear (as you well know), and ALSO to make things even better: their I/O (Ka) is even more deadly, which they shoot from both the front and rear.

The fact is: In that area, an RD is near useless, even with a rabbit, so the best bet right there is a CB radio. Sorry pal... welcome to the forum, I know their enforcement tactics well in that area. The worst part is: The more and more countermeasures I get, the slower I go.

I am well versed in the tactics of the troopers (in that area)... on the thruway at least. Please feel free to post any more questions/comments.

PS: Get trapster (there are a few users who have the thruway hidding spots covered well) including myself... I have made my own group for this purpose... but it has more areas then you would care for on your phone/GPS.

You poor, poor man.

Speed Demon

I took a shot of I/O Ka somewhere around Bath from memory.
    They were well hidden around a bend in the bushes I remember that.

Yoda of Radar

^^^ Yup, thats what they do...

Its sad really, they could be so *beep* obvious about it and get tons of cars anyways... with all the oblivious uninformed drivers out there: It baffles me why they have to be all covert and make it so hard on us informed and aware drivers, who are just trying to get from A>B.

Power User

As I recall last time in that area alot of Ka 34.7 ... Instant-on when hidden and constant on several times when they were rolling.

Professional

Regarding LIDAR, the NYSP use (almost exclusively) in my area the LTI Ultralyte 100LR, and from time to time I have occasionally seen an ORIGINAL Marksman...

Radar Fanatic

The NYST are the cream of the crop with regard to tactics they use. Airmoore hit it on the head, if you don't have a cb, then don't go to far past psl. There was an article in the Press and Sun bulletin a few weeks ago. It was about the NYST and their traffic enforcement and revenue. The troop in my neck of the woods was 2nd in the state for total tickets and money raised. I don't think you would ever get a break if they get you for speeding. Also, you get to shuck out an extra $300.00 if they do get you.

Good Citizen

Your right, lived all my life and these LEO are good. They really like the DOT garages that you find just of the thru-way. There is strech of highway (490w) that any given day between Gates-Center and Leroy (roughly 18 miles) you find a hand full of NYS Troopers hiding in the rough. They don't let you off easy. As the thru-way goes there is a spot I 90-W a few miles past the Batavia exit where they love to sit. Anothe wooded area where he can turn in and around with-out being seen!!!!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Your right, lived all my life and these LEO are good. They really like the DOT garages that you find just of the thru-way. There is strech of highway (490w) that any given day between Gates-Center and Leroy (roughly 18 miles) you find a hand full of NYS Troopers hiding in the rough. They don't let you off easy. As the thru-way goes there is a spot I 90-W a few miles past the Batavia exit where they love to sit. Anothe wooded area where he can turn in and around with-out being seen!!!!

Trapster - Speed Trap Sharing System

Get an account and post those traps! You will find that many have already been posted... but you can vote them to higher confidence levels.

Advanced Member

Driven all over 90, 87 and 81. And the majority of what I encounter is I/O Ka

I have driven all over NY and the majority is Instant on. I few constant on encounters

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96