Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default TX- When is speeding reckless driving or a felony?

These questions are regarding Texas.

When is speeding considered a felony?
    When is speeding considered Reckless Driving?

Speed Demon

Default Re: TX- When is speeding reckless driving or a felony?

The law simply states:
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Transportation Code, Sec. 545.401
    A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property
    I guess it's up to the discretion of the officer as to whether or not you meet the criteria to be charged and the DA as to whether or not it's worthwhile to pursue.

Power User

If you're waving through traffic well over PSL, I know they'll take you to jail and impound your car.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by speed-dreams View Post
    If you're waving through traffic well over PSL, I know they'll take you to jail and impound your car.
    I understand that. What I mean is when your on the open straight highway with little traffic to no traffic. No stupid driving (ie: weaving, tailgating, passing in a no passing zone, etc)

If you're driving safe, just speeding, is thier a set amount over the limit that is considered reckless driving? Or will the officer generally just issue a speeding citation even if the speed is say 30 over psl.

Yoda of Radar

There is no speed at which Speeding is considered a felony.

Racing (which does include rallying in Texas, regardless of speed, as well as racing the clock without an opponent) is a felony if it causes bodily injury to any person, or if you have two prior convictions for the same offence.

Reckless Driving would also be a felony if it resulted in the bodily injury of any person. There is no specific speed at which it is automatically considered Reckless Driving. The preponderance of the evidence must only show that you exercised wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of person or property. The difference between reckless and speeding is circumstances as a whole, not a magic number.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

It really depends on each state's laws which are on the books. And I should point out that being convicted of a felony (even if its speeding) is grounds enough to prevent your entry into a foreign country when traveling abroad and can even lead to you being put in jail until that foreign country finally gets around to either deporting you or convicting you of trying to illegally enter their country.
    Last edited by MEM-TEK; 02-26-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Yoda of Radar

Heck, even a misdemeanour can keep you out of other countries. The band I used to run with was crossing into Canada by bus once to play a gig in Montreal. Canada Customs came on the bus, glanced at passports, and asked if anyone had ever been arrested. The drummer remarked that he had a DWI about fifteen years back. Our drummer was denied entry and we had to scramble to find another one within 24 hours!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Canada believes that where there is smoke that there is fire. For example, if you were accused of theft but later either the charges were dropped or you were found innocent in a court of law, guess what? Canada's customs agents will lock you up if you try to cross their borders.

Speedtrap Crasher

Doesn't Canada still have the Queen of England on their money??

Where there's smoke there's fire.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Speed Demon

The queen is still their monarchical head of state.