Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Professional

Default Re: PA Local Police and Radar

Now that the weather is getting warmer i started to see more locals. Couple days ago W-B was out giveing people tickets with that ENRADD. It was the first time i got to see one set up, you cant really miss it. But even if they dont pass it they are still going to be out enforcing the speed. More now due to the economy.
    But i my opinion i rather them use radar. Less taxes i have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
    Does anyone think it has more of a shot passing this year compared to last year?
    It appears that this new Bill is gaining more support every day. I saw a part of the new Bill. The Police Chief's Assoc, wants to move the money around so that it will be more fair for the municipalities. As of now $12.50 is all that the Twp's/Boro's/cities get. The rest of the fine goes into the Emergency & CAT Fund (this money is used for EMS/FD & to keep up on road maintaince etc. It can be used for whatever the municipalities want. The Police Chiefs want more of that money. The fines have not increased in 30 years and they will not with this bill. Also according to Fed. Highway Department it is illegal for a municipalities to "make a profit on speeding tickets" If they make over XXX.XXX then the federal highway money can't be recieved. Do I see this bill getting passed????? YES as long as no one else adds to it. The media is running stories every day about this bill both on TV & papers. Bucks County has held 2 public meetings this week to generate more support.

Speed Demon

I'm kind of mixed on the issue. On one hand, some localities run night VASCAR and if you're not familiar with the area, you can end up being bear food pretty quickly. I was nailed on RT-51 at 11:30PM in October by South Heights Police in a night VASCAR trap (tucked in a driveway). Had he been running K Band, I would have picked him up.

Luckily I got lucky with that one though and only got a 3111 (Disobedience of traffic control device) when I could have had a 55/35.

On the other hand, it makes it a pain in familiar areas since you're usually familiar with all their VASCAR points.

Then again, ENRADD almost negates it in some areas since they can place the unit in unconventional locations.

I can live with locals having stationary radar, just as long as they don't allow the use of LIDAR or moving radar.
    Last edited by Nighthawk243; 03-17-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk243 View Post
    I'm kind of mixed on the issue. On one hand, some localities run night VASCAR and if you're not familiar with the area, you can end up being bear food pretty quickly. I was nailed on RT-51 at 11:30PM in October by South Heights Police in a night VASCAR trap (tucked in a driveway). Had he been running K Band, I would have picked him up.

Luckily I got lucky with that one though and only got a 3111 (Disobedience of traffic control device) when I could have had a 55/35.

On the other hand, it makes it a pain in familiar areas since you're usually familiar with all their VASCAR points.

Then again, ENRADD almost negates it in some areas since they can place the unit in unconventional locations.

I can live with locals having stationary radar, just as long as they don't allow the use of LIDAR or moving radar.
    I'd much rather have the risk of ENRADD at night over a crapton of local leos using radar. In my area our local policy ONLY run ENRADD and drive around patroling. If they got radar guns, I can guarentee that they'de be doing alot more of the former (except with radar) and less of the latter. The nice thing about PA, at least in my area, is that the state cops are relatively rare, and when you do see them, they're usually patrolling around rather than actually running stationary radar. This means my risk from township police is relatively low, since they rarely run ENRADD anyway.

New Drive Safe Program is in affect in Bucks County. PSP & Local PD's working together to stop speeders. PSP is using radar and local PD is pulling you over. This is happening this week, in Warwick Twp on Rte 263 they pulled over 40+ cars in less than an hour. The program is only on state owned roads or highways. So keep you RD on when in Bucks County. This program will spread to the rest of the state soon.

Radar Fanatic

I wish the locals would get certified for radar use. I drive all over eastern Pa (RT. 15 east) and it makes me nuts looking for those damn ENRADD sensors. Maybe us Penns could start a sticky on confirmed Police departments that use ENRADD. I, for one, would get great benefit from such a sticky.