Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default PA Local Police and Radar

All You PA folks , I know it would be nice to get our detectors more of a workout in PA, however, the Police Chief Association is up to again. They are going to make another run at trying to get the legislators to change the law to allow locals to use Radar.

Write your state reps and tell them no deal, it only going to cause PA to turn into all the other states which locals LEO driving around writing as many tickets as they can.

So tell them not to support this legislation.
    Last edited by Maestro; 03-03-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Default PA at it again

Bucks County State Rep Frank Farry R-142 is introducing another new bill to legalize radar for local police. The Bucks County Assoc. of Township Officials are backing his Bill The story is at www.intelligenceronline.com The police chiefs assoc. claims that this will not generate more money as the municipalities in the state of PA only get $12.50 per ticket. The rest goes to the state & court costs (funny). They claim it will be used to better control speeding & reduce fatal accidents. So we need all the Pa residents to contact their state rep's and keep this bill from becoming Law.

Power User

Default Re: PA at it again

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    Bucks County State Rep Frank Farry R-142 is introducing another new bill to legalize radar for local police. The Bucks County Assoc. of Township Officials are backing his Bill The story is at www.intelligenceronline.com The police chiefs assoc. claims that this will not generate more money as the municipalities in the state of PA only get $12.50 per ticket. The rest goes to the state & court costs (funny). They claim it will be used to better control speeding & reduce fatal accidents. So we need all the Pa residents to contact their state rep's and keep this bill from becoming Law.

Yep, read it this morning...

Power User

Default Re: PA at it again

ops, double post

Professional

Default Re: PA Local Police and Radar

Does anyone think it has more of a shot passing this year compared to last year?

Power User

I haven't foggiest...

I am not sure why it was held up last year, since it appeared to be well written and as far as I am concern it was filled with loop holes to allow you to beat ticket, like the officer must be in plain sight not hiding. Hell the PSP do not even do this, oh the provision did not apply to the PSP only locals.

Based on the comment from the Police Chiefs associations it sounds like it is the same old issue of tickets for towns budgets. They do not want radar being used for revenue. According to them the town only gets $12.50, I just want to know who is getting the other $125 plus for most speeding tickets. Someone is getting that money.

Plus their argument does not hold, yeah they only get $12.50, but they only write a small number of ticket today because it is costly to them thus the reason if you fight the ticket they are more than willing to drop the point to keep the dollars. If they get radar and this will change they will issue 1000's of ticket since it will be much easier and they know most people will not fight a radar ticket so they it will cost them less.

Professional

I found this bill about letting locals use radar and lidar introduced a couple of days ago. It is very similar to the bill introduced last year: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...r=0554&pn=0561

Similar bill from last year: HOUSE BILL 2599 P.N. 3891

There are 2 other similar bills from 07 that are written just the same. I wonder why they keep getting reintroduced every 7 months or so?

Old Timer

i rele hope they do....i mean rele who uses Ka band speed signs (some of them are Ka and i go by 1 every time i go to my gf's house along with 3-4 K band ones)...get some laser in there too...i wanna jam

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    i rele hope they do....i mean rele who uses Ka band speed signs (some of them are Ka and i go by 1 every time i go to my gf's house along with 3-4 K band ones)...get some laser in there too...i wanna jam

Your nuts....

I enjoy driving down back roads knowing full well the police are not hiding around the next bend in the road. As long as I know where the white lines are I feel safe. Just recently I was zipping along knew there was upcoming white lines but never seen an officer there. Well out of the corner of my eye, I spot him sitting way back in someone driveway just as I crossed the first line, lucky the lines were 100 ft apart, tapped the brake and I was down below the limit before hitting the second line. Screwed his average speed calculation.

If he had LIDAR or Radar I would have been busted since no rabbits out front this fine day

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
    I found this bill about letting locals use radar and lidar introduced a couple of days ago. It is very similar to the bill introduced last year: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...r=0554&pn=0561

Similar bill from last year: HOUSE BILL 2599 P.N. 3891

There are 2 other similar bills from 07 that are written just the same. I wonder why they keep getting reintroduced every 7 months or so?

Oh there is a change, cal date, 1 yr verse 60 days, the 60 days is part of the reason the police are not out ticketing people all the time, this takes time and money.

And no more requirement to be on the PennDOT approved equipment list, it say as long as it shows on the International Association of Chiefs of Police consumer products list, in conjunction with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) standards.

This sucks too, since this is the other thing that got people out of tickets. They no longer will have to show it was approved by PennDOT.

Lastly, they want to be able to go onto the highways that go threw their location and catch speeders as long as they can get the PSP to agree.
    Last edited by Maestro; 03-06-2009 at 12:29 PM.