Default New Jersey Rte 78 Speed traps

My job is in Newark and I live in PA so I travel Rte 78 each day. I have encountered NJSP from MM2 all the way to Exit 57. Most of the staties are hiding on the onramps shooting X, K and an occassional laser. moving towards the 287 split they hide in the center median using constant X and sometimes K. coming W/B at the scenic overlook both staties and locals like to hide there. (staties use laser, local POP Ka band) then near the bernard exit signs both state and local hide in center median. than around Rte 24 I have encountered POP Ka from somewhere, I haven't found his hiding spot yet, I do believe its in the center median. I also have seen the state using unmarked ford tarus both in grey and dark blue running X band in hunterdon county between perryville and Rte 31 sitting in center median with a "chase" car stopping everyone. It seems like the heaviest times for the state police are during the 1st to 2nd week in each month and the middle of the month and the last week in the month. I have also found that a car is used as a drone on the west bound side of Rte 78 before you get to the scenic overlook. They hide the car there all the time with NO ONE in it. I have confirmed this my self when I pulled over to see if there was anyone in it and acted like I needed to check my tires on the driver side.

Default Re: New Jersey Rte 78 Speed traps

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake
    It seems like the heaviest times for the state police are during the 1st to 2nd week in each month and the middle of the month and the last week in the month.
    Maybe just tell us when the lightest times for enforcement are...?

I hate to sound abrasive but this post is so misleading that it's dangerous. NJSP doesn't use the Taurus, or K band radar. If you're getting the same POP/Ka signal in the same spot every day, it's probably not a LEO.

The "decoy" car, however, is becoming more common. Maybe they're not worth fixing, or something like that.

Confirmed it again today Rte 78 E/B near Rte 173 a dark grey ford tarus sitting in the center median shooting K band time was 6:26 am. On the W/B side was a dark/navy blue crown vic (who had someone stopped) both vehicles are unmarked with strobes in the headlights and a red light on the dash. I don't know if they are local or state LEO. I finally found the LEO shooting Ka/POP this morning its a springfield twp PD hides in center median shooting E/B traffic where the local/express lanes of Rte 78 near Rte 24 exit. I re-read my other post, I just want to clarify it by stating that it seems like the police presence occurrs more during the begining, middle and end of the month, just my thoughts.

Thanks for the clarification. It's been a long time since I've seen locals actively patrolling major state highways. Some of those lonely stretches west of Bridgewater are very tempting! I remember doing some crazy-illegal things there, back in the day.

Experienced

The state police in the Crown Vics and other unmarked cars have k-band units but I have confirmed that they use Laser as the primary source for tracking speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by yemntftb
    The state police in the Crown Vics and other unmarked cars have k-band units....
    NJSP has "MPH K-55" units that, confusingly, operate on X-band. If you see a CVPI running K-band, it's either county or local.

Quote Originally Posted by yemntftb
    ... but I have confirmed that they use Laser as the primary source for tracking speeds.
    This does seem to be trend lately.

Newcomer

Default NJ Troopers

East German Judge is correct; NJ State Troopers shoot only X band and laser. Local cops throughout the state use X, K and KA. I have not seen laser from a local cop yet, but it is probably a matter of time. Laser used to be barred from speed enforcement in NJ, but it was reintroduced after a local prosecutor succeeded in getting it admitted as evidence.