Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Minnesota: Speed while passing

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../052909-02.htm

A new law in Minnesota allows drivers to travel 10 mph over the speed limit while passing on certain two-lane highways. Also included in the bill is a provision allowing for stricter seat belt enforcement.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default Re: Minnesota: Speed while passing

Well that's a good start, but there shouldn't be any speed limit on passing. The speedometer is the last place you should look when you're driving on the wrong side of the road.

Power User

Yeah, if someone has a cake on the front seat and is going 5 under, its going to take a 'little' more than the speed limit to pass them safely.

This is sort of a given I think. I'm glad they are recognizing it and putting a number to hold 'us' to, not just the LEO's judgment.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    Well that's a good start, but there shouldn't be any speed limit on passing. The speedometer is the last place you should look when you're driving on the wrong side of the road.
    I agree... however, I also frequently do double the PSL when passing The quicker you get it over with the safer

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier View Post
    I agree... however, I also frequently do double the PSL when passing The quicker you get it over with the safer
    yeah the ticket is just for 10MPH less over the limit now was how I read this one

Speed Demon

I heard about this a while back.

Glad to see it actually got passed!

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

"However"? That's what I meant. You should be able to go as fast as you want. Personally, I don't care if I get a ticket while passing as long as I'm not dead.

Radar Fanatic

"However"? That's what I meant. You should be able to go as fast as you want. Personally, I don't care if I get a ticket while passing as long as I'm not dead.
    Looking back... I don't know why I quoted you. Haha, maybe I meant to quote the OP. Sorry man!

well, it was almost 2am... I was clearly wasted at that point.

Banned

I agree I get to double the limit when passing or close to it you never know when the idiot floors it when you go to pass

Also most places cop's wont pull you over for 10 over

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Fastgt2003 View Post
    I agree I get to double the limit when passing or close to it you never know when the idiot floors it when you go to pass
    I ended up racing a soccer-mom in a minivan one time because she didn't want me to pass! That crazy bìtch was going like 5 under on a street that was slow anyhow. She had one of those big V8s in it though and gave me a run for my money. I was doing like 80 in a 35 when I finally passed her over a now double solid line and almost ran through a stop sign (this was in my old Honda btw).