Newcomer

Default Question: new (or old?) method of tagging speeders?

I live in the Puyallup, WA area (actually, Sumner) and drive to Olympia every day. This hour-plus commute affords a great view of everyday changing LEA conditions...I get to see them as they put new unmarked cars into play and where they hide out all along the route (hwy 512 to Interstate 5 to Olympia).

I got a great scare a while ago when my detector screeched out the Laser! warning, but I utterly could NOT see the cop as I was slamming on my brakes and watching the traffic behind me...

As I went under an overpass, I finally saw him, leaning out his window, ON THE OVERPASS ITSELF!! He was tagging cars going past him under the bridge, and then, sure enough, around the next corner were several cops and several victims. Luckily I was not one of them.

Now my question: how accurate can this method be? I thought it had to be hitting a metal reflective surface such as the headlights? All I can think was that since he was only about 30 feet away from the cars, it wouldn't matter WHERE he tagged them with the laser...think that's true?

Lead Foot

mushu, you are absolutely correct. You just won the WA ST lottery. Laser will reflect off any metal surface, but the mirrored casings of the headlamps will reflect much greater return strength. That's why the headlamps are the primary targeting spot. But from 30ft away, it's like shooting steelhead in a barrel.

Newcomer

Default well that sucks!

That's not very sportsmanlike now, is it? No one ever looks at the overpass when you're zooming down I-5 at 70+ -- but now I do!

I haven't seen any cops do that follow-you-closely-to-tag-oncoming-drivers thing around here..probably too much rain so it's too dangerous.

Lead Foot

I used to see the WASHP do it a lot when I was there from '88 - '92. Any time I rolled from Tacoma (FT. Lewis) down south toward Olympia I'd see them pacing, but not always with radar on.

Newcomer

Default WASP Laser

Another WASP laser nest used to be between Federal Way and Fife on I-5 just south of the commercial scales. Driving home from Bellevue to Tacoma, I used to see them there at least three times a week during the evening rush hour. Moved back to Texas in 94 and haven't seen a laser since!

Radar Fanatic

My brother is in Longview TX and said that they have motorcycle cops that use laser.

Newcomer

Default Texas Laser

My brother is in Longview TX and said that they have motorcycle cops that use laser.
    I wouldn't doubt it.

My father in Houston says the HPD have quite a few lasers in service as well. I don't know why. Traffic is so bad down there I don't see how anyone COULD speed. :?

They are here. However, in the 11 yrs. I have been back I haven't run across one yet.

Call it luck I guess! 8) 8)