Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Suf Daddy

Default Don't speed in IL construction zones

http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html

Guess the article isn't going to load.....................

" Subject: Subject: Illinois to start using Photo Radar in July !

Subject: Illinois to start using Photo Radar in July !
    Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. One mile per hour over the speed limit and the machine will get you a nice $375.00 ticket in the mail. Beginning July 1st, the State of Illinois will begin using the speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense.

The SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension.

Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allow insurance companies to raise Insurance rates.

This is the harshest penalty structure ever set for a governmental unit involving PHOTO speed enforcement. The State already has two camera vans on line issuing tickets 24/7 in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photos of both the Driver ' s face and L icense plate are taken.

For more info: http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html"
    Last edited by Suf Daddy; 07-01-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: text and emphasis

Power User

Default Re: Don't speed in IL construction zones

dead link.

Legal in 41 States

Quote Originally Posted by v1user View Post
    dead link.
    That's because the story is from 2005, but for some reason it's been recirculating.

So, 4 years ago they started construction zone cameras, and they still have them.

Radar Fanatic

Ski Mask/paper bag in July. Now you see me now you don't, now you you cant issue me a ticket for speeding because you can't identify me.

Besides the vans use normal C/O radar so even a cobra has a chance at sniffing them out.

Speed Demon

I doubt they issue for 1 mile over, too.

Good Citizen

I haven't seen one of those van in two years... but I'm always on the look out. A couple of years ago a few people I know got the $375 ticket in the mail... but apparently they weren't aware of the white van that takes pix nor were they RD users.

Btw I guesstimate the average speed on 45mph work zones is something like 60~70 right now. I'll, of course, pay extra attention this weekend.

I get this email every year and have never seen one, however I did today. I'll be interested to see if I get a ticket. I was in a pack of traffic going 60 in a 45. I don't think the van had the angle to get my plate though. Also today, somone I work with received a $375 ticket, so this is legit this year. Markings are fairly subtle on the vans.

Time for me to invest in a radar dectector if they are ticketing for 1 MPH over.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeks View Post
    I get this email every year and have never seen one, however I did today. I'll be interested to see if I get a ticket. I was in a pack of traffic going 60 in a 45. I don't think the van had the angle to get my plate though. Also today, somone I work with received a $375 ticket, so this is legit this year. Markings are fairly subtle on the vans.

Time for me to invest in a radar dectector if they are ticketing for 1 MPH over.
    Where did you see this?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeks View Post

Oh they are out there. It's just that they have only two, supposedly, for the whole state. Maybe they have more now.. don't know. I alway scan how the construction zones are set up to figure out whether they have place to park/hide and like you said whether they have the angle etc + I pay attention to my RD. You can find the picture of the van if you google and I think I vaguely remember seeing one here.

Experienced

I've seen one somewhere in the Chicago area--don't recall which expressway, but it was a year or two ago.

There was a warning sign ahead of the construction zone telling people the van was there, and if I recall correctly, the van itself gave a pretty weak Ka alert from a pretty short range on my Bel 995.