Newcomer

Default A different kind of overpass trap (Colorado Springs)

My RX65 saved my bacon Saturday morning around 7:30 am. I was heading to a downtown meeting and approached an overpass bridge that went over the interstate. I got a weak K-band alert as I went up the arching overpass. This was a typical supermarket-type false alert, but there were no supermarkets around, so I let off the gas. Then as I hit the top of the arching overpass my detector started singing at full volume. There he was in a parking lot at the bottom of the overpass. The arch served to shield his radar from oncoming traffic and by the time you crested the arch, he was 100 yards ahead with no time to slow down. I don't know how the RX65 picked up the faint signal on the other side--must have been a reflection off a car in front of me. Since I drive to work this way every day, you can bet I will be careful on that overpass from now on.

P.S. This trap was at the Colorado Ave. overpass of I-25 in Colorado Springs. The radar gun was on the east side of the interstate

Lead Foot

COBEL, did you notice if LEO was at a store that had an auto-door opener?If so you just gave a good example of one of the tactics I spoke of in another thread, LEOs using areas with known auto-door openers as cover and concealment from RDs.

Newcomer

No, this was just a downtown parking lot, but I did get a brief K-band alert going up the overpass again today, but no LEO this time on the other side. I'll have to check it out some more. This part of the interstate is favorite speed trap area, so I could be picking up some 90 degree angle from interstate radar as I'm crossing the bridge.

Lead Foot

It does sound like you're getting some sideline reflections.