Radar Fanatic

Default Driving Naked in Alabama

I just got back from a quick business trip that took me to Birmingham, AL. I wasn't expecting to do much driving so I just left the V1 behind, leaving me to drive naked. This was unfortunate for two resons. 1) My rental was given to me with 2 mi on the ODO (a brand new Dodge Stratus...no speed demon but quite nice nonetheless.) 2) We finished up early yesterday leaving me quite a bit of time to eat up. So I figured, what the hell. If I don't start the break-in period properly, who will? So off I went, eastbound on rte 280 out of Birmingham. Didn't really care where I was going so long as I was going. In a solid 180 miles of driving I took note of the law enforcement presence; as in there was none. I saw only one speed trap (I assume) as I was headed back. There were two cruisers parked right next to each other off of the east-bound side of 280, maybe 30mi out of town. Could have been waiting for speeders, could have been sitting there to have a chat. Who knows?

Other than that my drive can only be described as a religious experience, and I really needed it. I was shocked at how much more pleasant it is to drive in a place where the roads aren't crowded with drivers who are all hell-bent on getting where they have to go at the expense of everyone else on the road. Not only was that road wide-open, but everyone on it seemed perfectly happy to get along with everyone else. I guess I never realized how much driving in the northeast sucks. Not six hours back from my trip and I've already had to deal with some jacka$$ kid in his daddy's Maxima who doesn't know how to negotiate a four-way stop and thinks it's funny to drive 5mph just to aggravate everyone behind him.

So I guess the moral of the story is travelling good, angry drivers bad, and watch out for the sherriff!

Speed Demon

Just so you know, highway driving isn't exactly proper break-in. I know you were joking a bit, but still FWIW.
    Richard

Yoda of Radar

Modern cars typically don't have a break in period as such...

And it is debateable on the effects of a very hard break (ie full throttle acceleration all the time) in to seat piston rings or a soft one to do the rest.

Speed Demon

Yeah they do, read the manuals. Except for Porsche where you can have them pre-break it in for you if you want (with Mercedes you used to be able to pay for such an option too, not sure if they still offer it though), they all have break in procedures. Flooring it ain't good, and neither is gentle. You should vary you engine and physical speed and avoid wide open throttle. Also avoid jack rabbit starts.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

Yes, it's true that highway driving at one speed isn't the way to break in a car. And you're right that I was joking a bit...who honestly goes to the trouble to break in a rental car? The point of the drive was simply to get away from everything and do something that I enjoy doing.

That said, if one were trying to break in a car on that road it wouldn't have been a bad place for it. The speed limit swings up and down between 45 and 65 with reasons to slow down, stop, and accelerate every so often. Traffic was also light enough that varying one's speed over any one stretch wouldn't have bothered anyone else.

Lead Foot

Sounds like you had a very enlightening and refreshing vacation in the South. It is nice to get away from all the hussle and BS so prevalent in the N. That's why I look forward to my drive back to Fayette'nam, NC every other week. Been to ALA on a couple Army tours of duty and believe me, it is beautiful country but you can get bored real quick.