Experienced

Default Washington State Patrol: X band?

So yesterday I was cruising along I-205 Southbound heading into Oregon, at the bridge on the NB side there was a WSP parked on the left shoulder with the driver's door open, I was unable to see what he was using or if he was aiming something but right after I passed I picked up a strong X-band alert. I know they use Ka and laser but I thought the X band was a little strange

Any comments?

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

Default Re: Washington State Patrol: X band?

It's been at least 15 years since I've encountered WSP running X-band, so I would be suprised, too. All the while being used in Oregon.
    About a month ago, I took 205 on my way to Seattle. Thru the fog, I got a 'Welcome to Washington' shot of K-band shortly after the bridge. I couldn't see tail-lights, so I was at the PSL. - - -
    I'm quite familiar with that stretch, southbound, between I-5 and the bridge. The sweeping 2-lane curves can be fun.

Face it, without arrows we are lacking info.

My guess(es) would be;

You mis-identified the Cruiser on the Washington side, and got a 'Welcome to Oregon' tail-shot from the OSP. (It's not at all unusual for 'business' to take a unit past the last exit, and they have to cross the bridge in order to return)

Or

It was a WSP unit parked on the Washington side, and in an unrelated reality, you got a 'Welcome to Oregon' face-shot.

Your encounter seems to be a promo for the Valentine One - - -

Experienced

That's odd, I didn't see any OSP, maybe there was a northbound OSP I missed but it's strange I picked it up right after I passed the WSP. I forgot to mention, it appeard to be an I/O shot, full strength for a few seconds then off..

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

A few months back while I was taking a trip down to Portland I got hit with a strong X signal while passing by a WSP cruiser on I-5 but this happened about 30 miles north of the state line

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by TRun View Post
    A few months back while I was taking a trip down to Portland I got hit with a strong X signal while passing by a WSP cruiser on I-5 but this happened about 30 miles north of the state line
    So maybe I'm not crazy! Thanks for the info.

Yoda of Radar

Maybe OSP and WSP did a little equipment exchange.

Good Citizen

I'm new to the Washington area. I don't get too many X alerts (rarely any false's), get a few K's though. I was driving northbound I-5 into Seattle and for about a mile was getting a 3-4 X alert and finally got up to a 8-9 near an overpass. I was wondering if this is normal? Has anyone else occurred this, anyone know what the source is?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Incore View Post
    I'm new to the Washington area. I don't get too many X alerts (rarely any false's), get a few K's though. I was driving northbound I-5 into Seattle and for about a mile was getting a 3-4 X alert and finally got up to a 8-9 near an overpass. I was wondering if this is normal? Has anyone else occurred this, anyone know what the source is?

I think the poster of this thread is experiencing a x-band false similar to the one you describe, only in a different location. It will be determined if it is on his normal commute and turns out to be a one time incident.
    Last edited by Freebird; 01-13-2010 at 06:10 PM.