Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Rolling instant-on?

Does instant-on radar work while a patrol car is moving or are moving units forced to transmit constantly? I ask because there have been more than a few instances where I was travelling in the left lane of a divided highway to be met by an oncoming patrol car and a silent detector. Do they have the ability to release the RF hold and get a legitimate reading? Forgive me if this is a dumb question...I'm still trying to learn the intricacies of how their equipment works.

Old Timer

Default Re: Rolling instant-on?

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Does instant-on radar work while a patrol car is moving or are moving units forced to transmit constantly? I ask because there have been more than a few instances where I was travelling in the left lane of a divided highway to be met by an oncoming patrol car and a silent detector. Do they have the ability to release the RF hold and get a legitimate reading? Forgive me if this is a dumb question...I'm still trying to learn the intricacies of how their equipment works.
    My first ticket was a moving instant-on :cry:

Manufacturer

In NJ this is often done as I have painfully found out.

Patrol cars that have radar transponders located high up on the roof line on the driver's side have the ability to either shoot forward or rearward at the officer's discretion in a pulsed/instant-on fashion.

PA may have legal restriction in place for this kind of operation, but NY and NJ do not.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

I was afraid that would be the answer. At least you guys have an excuse in that the odds are stacked very much against you when confronted with that kind of trap. In MA the state troopers often have the antenna mounted on a pylon off the driver's side of the patrol car. I assume this is to see over the metal dividers on the Pike.

Sounds to me like the usual logic still applies: don't stand out and the odds are back on our favor.

Manufacturer

brick,

I try to not to get too worried.

I tend to drive consistently quickly and have adopted the philosophy that speeding tickets are, in fact, a "road-tax" for the privilege of driving fast - provided they don't get too out of hand.

Even with instant-on radar usage, all things have to be lined-up against you to actually result in ticket receipt.

If you routinely drive on highways where other vehicles are also traveling, the odds are with that someone else will be shot as there are plenty of speeders out there.

I try to be cognizant of this reality and often drive [when possible] in the right lane, except when passing.

As good as the best radar detectors are today, the very best detector, IMHO, is your own brain. If one drives while paying attention to the surroundings, inadvertant and unannounced speed trap encounters hopefully will be few.

I hope these words are, at least, somewhat encouraging.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Radar Fanatic

I've read that moving instant-on takes a pretty good amount of time on most radars to actually get a reading. 2-3 seconds sometimes. One still has a chance to slow down before the moving radar can read you speed.

Radar Fanatic

Thanks to all for the input. At the end of the day I think nothing has changed in my world. I've always assumed that they had the capability but wasn't sure. If anything I'm encouraged by the prospect of a 2-3 second delay before they get a lock.

Drive casual 8)

Radar Fanatic

BTW, Veil Guy:

I finally got around to ordering my can of Veil today. Very exciting!!

Manufacturer

Brick,

Cool. Good luck with it...and you know where I am, if you have any questions. :wink:

With all due respect to the previous posting, I wouldn't count on two-three second delay.

Once on west I78 in Jersey an approaching cruiser emerged from the ramparts of the median, shot me, and promptly pulled me over. My V1, at the time, went full-alert, and before I had a chance to react the game was over.

That was on a K-55 unit (about 15 years old at the time). The newer digital radar has to be quicker - not withstanding the legal requirement of establishing a VTA.

The Veil Guy 8)

Radar Fanatic

The one that I could out-break was a Ka. Ka has a pretty high attenuation due to the frequency, so espcially at a little of a distance with Ka moving, you have a chance with some units.