Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default VASCAR being used in Central Texas

Today I received a frantic call from a friend of mine, an experienced countermeasure user, who lives near me in Texas. He had been stopped by a county Sherriff (Bell County), right at the intersection of I-35 and TX 190, in Temple. The Sherriff proceeded to write him a ticket for 20+ over, which my friend couldn't understand, due to the lack of any alert through his systems. After asking, the Sherriff replied that my friend had been clocked by aerial VASCAR via the helicopter that was hovering about 150 yards off in the distance. I saw the ticket today and it even has a little helictopter emblem on it. I am going to scan the ticket so that everyone can see some proof, as this was a shock to me, having never heard of VASCAR being used in Texas, and having never heard of it being used with a helicopter. I also hope to get some video of this in action, since I have the county network on my scanner, this could make for some good video!

snoopyc4

Default Re: VASCAR being used in Central Texas

Oh sh!t

Power User

Hopefully you can pick it up on the scanner.

The use of VASCAR isn't very common practice here, but the blocks are painted over every new highway. I have seen it twice. I saw the county police helicopter sitting very low over the highway, so I immediately had a suspicion. They had 2 cruisers working in both directions on the highway. The V1 did pick up a single very small blip of Ka so I think they were using I/O to confirm. I have also seen the highway patrol doing VASCAR out of an airplane.

Professional

CRAPPP

Good Citizen

What does VASCAR stand for? I know it has something to do with planes/helicopters being used but not sure exactly what

Lead Foot

Visual average speed computer and recorder. On highways where it is used there are long white lines on the side of the road and the LEO who is airborne times how long it takes for you to get between two lines, inputs it into the computer and your speed is determined. Then he radios down to a ground unit who pulls you over. That is an explanation in soccer mom terms, I don't know the specifics such as the formula that is used, minimum distance they have to time you for, etc.

Power User

I believe the formula is d=rt which can be changed to r=d/t. (d=distance, r=rate, t=time) I think the minimum distance is about 200-250 feet. There are 5280 feet in a miles so 1/10 of that is 528. You are clocking cars crossing this zone of 528ft. It takes a car 7.5 seconds to cross through the zone. So 528/7.5=70.4 MPH.

Power User

Wellcom to the PA nightmare, see white lines on the road you slow down.

Easy to fight, both officer must show in court, Attach the actual distance, how do they know it was x ft, who and how was is measured. Also, did they record the time and distance on the ticket, if not another thing to attack.

Good Citizen

Crap!! sooo much for a quick drive to austin. =\ *looks for portable scanner*

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Wellcom to the PA nightmare, see white lines on the road you slow down.
    Ohio, too.

Last year, Car and Driver even did an article, featuring our own Ohio State Highway Patrol's aerial Troopers.