Good Citizen

Default Mass State Troopers

I recently just purchased a used V1 that didn't get a lot of car time. Today I passed 3 state troopers hiding under bridges and I got nothing from the V1. Is this normal? I get a lot of false X and K band while driving in the city so I know its detecting.

Is it common for the troopers to use I/O and only target cars speeding? I was in a cluster of about 5 cars all going the speed limit. Maybe they were shooting laser?

The "cruisers" were perpendicular to the road and elevated about 10'. Shooting laser from behind maybe?

Any thoughts?

snoopyc4

Default Re: Mass State Troopers

It has been reported that laser is used by MA state troopers:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...-8-6-09-a.html

Also, remember the V1 is a radar detector not a cop detector. Just because you see a cop car doesn't mean you'll get an alert.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    It has been reported that laser is used by MA state troopers:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...-8-6-09-a.html

Also, remember the V1 is a radar detector not a cop detector. Just because you see a cop car doesn't mean you'll get an alert.
    Thanks for the response. I do know that the V1 is not a cop detector. I guess I got all jumpy 'cause it was my second day driving with it and I actually passed 3 troopers and thought for sure I would get a little action from it.

Oh well... same route again tomorrow.... I'll see if the "bears" are out and report back on my findings.

Speed Demon

MA is very heavy on laser, in the western part of the state you get some I/O and C/O K band, but very little Ka from the staties. Many locals do run Ka of various sorts.

Experienced

Trust me its super rare to find a statie running Ka, they love their guns too much. When I used to make the 495/90/93/95 run from college I only had my radar go off a handfull of times. If you ever find that black explorer you will find out why the v1 is so important. He throws the most lethal I/O ever.....

Good Citizen

So you think a jammer is worth it here in MA? Sounds like it....

Quote Originally Posted by ASHDUMP View Post
    Yes very. Go over to the videos section, and look for the "Christmas Present for RD.net" thread.

That being said you could probably wait until spring, I see mostly RADAR in the winter, both K and KA. Where do you typically drive in MA? Also how were the Troopers parked? If they weren't perpendicular (at a right angle to the road) they weren't running laser. I find many troopers during commute time will park in a threatening mannner but just be eating a donut or doing paperwork. It slows people down anyway.
    ".....in honour of the last American hero to whom speed means freedom of the soul. The question is not when's he gonna stop, but who is gonna stop him...."

V1+LI

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Patrol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHDUMP View Post
    Yes very. Go over to the videos section, and look for the "Christmas Present for RD.net" thread.

That being said you could probably wait until spring, I see mostly RADAR in the winter, both K and KA. Where do you typically drive in MA? Also how were the Troopers parked? If they weren't perpendicular (at a right angle to the road) they weren't running laser. I find many troopers during commute time will park in a threatening mannner but just be eating a donut or doing paperwork. It slows people down anyway.
    Yeah, all three of them were perpendicular to the road but nothing came from the V1. Today though, I was driving on I90 from Boston to exit 12 and got a trooper with C/O K. I don't know if he pulled someone over or if he was helping someone who broke down....?

I do most of my driving in the South Coast but find myself driving all over. Never western Mass though. I go out that way 2 or 3 times a year.

When cops shoot laser are they running parallel to the road?

I see you're from MA as well from your sig. Where abouts?

Lead Foot

I've seen Staties shooting perpendicular to the roadway, from the comfort of their front seat. Parallel to the road, standing in their driver's side door (parked in the median) and standing outside their car in the breakdown area (on Storrow..) waving people into the breakdown. It all depends on where you are and what the environment is. The only time I've seen a statie in Mass using Ka is on the Pike, after the Brighton tolls, before 95, running C/O along the breakdown. It's usually a slick top or unmarked hanging out in the breakdown lane.