Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Indiana - POP is Here!

They had a story in the Indianapolis Star about lowering standards (dropping the college degree requirement) for Indiana State Troopers so they can get more applicants. They had a picture of a trooper on patrol, and lo and behold, there was a BEE III radar on the dash board! I could also see part of the antenna which has a distinctive look compared to other Ka band radars, so it's official, there is POP in Indiana!

The picture was taken during a traffic stop on I-65 in downtown Indianapolis.

The picture was only available in the print version (Monday Dec. 5).

POP is here.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

I wonder if it has made it's way down to Evansville yet?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by NdeeAnna
    as long as its not comming to canada 8)

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by LiQuiDz
    Quote Originally Posted by NdeeAnna
    as long as its not comming to canada 8)
    Hey no big deal, don't need to worry about POP falses when nobody has an RD

Mind you, POP is no good since it's to defeat RD also :roll:

Good Citizen

:x :? :cry: ops:

Scratonicity Groupie

probably a good time to review your state dmv laws to see if they permit the use of PopMode... I'm guessing they do not

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    probably a good time to review your state dmv laws to see if they permit the use of PopMode... I'm guessing they do not
    What percentage of states allow use of POP mode? I have no idea if it is legal here or not. I'll have to check into that. So it would be a dmv administrative rule?

GTO_04

Radar Fanatic

The thing about POP mode is that they CAN NOT write a ticket with it due to the fact that the user manual states so specifically. A state can not put it on judicial notice with a condition like that.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    The thing about POP mode is that they CAN NOT write a ticket with it due to the fact that the user manual states so specifically. A state can not put it on judicial notice with a condition like that.
    Yes, that is very true, at least legally. But there are some LEOs who like to improvise. I would bet that there are at least a few who write tickets based on POP readings. The average motorist doesn't know the issue of POP and the fact that it is inadmissible in court. Since the vast majority of people don't contest their tickets they'll get away with it.

I did talk to a sales rep at work who got a ticket and his RD never went off, and the cop said it was some new kind of radar. I need to find out more about this traffic ticket to be sure what happened. I asked him if it was POP radar and he didn't know. He freaked out when I told him if the ticket was based on a POP reading, than it is inadmissible in court.

GTO_04

Newcomer

I have a question about that though... how do you know what the cop used to clock you? And if he LIES (gasp!) and says it was Ka or whatever, and it was in fact POP, then how the heck would you know? No LEO is going to admit to using just POP. Does that mean you'd have to contest ever single ticked to find out? I'm not sure, but if you do take it to court, you will either win or lose. And if you lose, you just blew your chance for the diversion program.

I guess I wasn't sure if you have the right to have LEO prove it to you on the spot or not. It's not like he's going to let you back to his car for a through inspection of his radar gear!

Thanks!
    J