Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I need Laser protection in PA?

Ok so i dont have anything yet. Got nailed for going 88 in a 55 a month ago so now im interested. In PA only state troopers can use radar, and Ill be doing most of my driving on highways such as 95, 276, and 476.

From the information Ive seen on here, none of the PA LEO's are using laser yet. So am i safe without it? Also how does I/O work? Can the V1 protect against this?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Do I need Laser protection in PA?

the v1 is the best protection against I/O

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...qt-vs-pop.html
    Last edited by aa2033; 02-01-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Only Philadelphia PD can use laser from what I've been told. Everywhere else is ENRADD and VASCAR. State Police use radar. Search the terms. Yes, the V1 is good at detecting I/O, but you should always have a rabbit or traffic in sight so the detector can catch the signal before he catches you. I/O is when the cop leaves his Radar in Hold mode, then when sees a vehicle approaching turns the radar on and gets a speed reading.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedUp View Post
    Only Philadelphia PD can use laser from what I've been told. Everywhere else is ENRADD and VASCAR. Search the terms. Yes, the V1 is good at detecting I/O, but you should always have a rabbit or traffic in sight so the detector can catch the signal before he catches you. I/O is when the cop leaves his Radar in Hold mode, then when sees a vehicle approaching turns the radar on and gets a speed reading.
    So the only way for the RD to detect I/O is if the cop hits somebody else first?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyukno View Post
    Only Philadelphia PD can use laser from what I've been told. Everywhere else is ENRADD and VASCAR. Search the terms. Yes, the V1 is good at detecting I/O, but you should always have a rabbit or traffic in sight so the detector can catch the signal before he catches you. I/O is when the cop leaves his Radar in Hold mode, then when sees a vehicle approaching turns the radar on and gets a speed reading.
    So the only way for the RD to detect I/O is if the cop hits somebody else first?
    Right. I'm not sure how much I/O in PA, but I doubt there is a lot. You go to Texas or North Carolina that's all the cops use pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyukno View Post
    Right. I'm not sure how much I/O in PA, but I doubt there is a lot. You go to Texas or North Carolina that's all the cops use pretty much.
    Ok thanks a lot for the help.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Only Philadelphia PD can use laser from what I've been told.
    False, nobody can use it. There were a couple of officers in Pittsburg that wrote some tickets with laser but they all got thrown out (Pittsburgh Police Issue Hundreds Of Bad Speeding Tickets - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh).

There are no laser guns on The List of Approved Speed Timing Devices so no one can use them (PA Bulletin, Doc. No. 09-2387).

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    False, nobody can use it. There were a couple of officers in Pittsburg that wrote some tickets with laser but they all got thrown out (Pittsburgh Police Issue Hundreds Of Bad Speeding Tickets - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh).

There are no laser guns on The List of Approved Speed Timing Devices so no one can use them (PA Bulletin, Doc. No. 09-2387).
    Good find, that's awesome. Well there you have it, no laser used in PA. I wonder how anyone gets a speeding ticket in PA. Sounds like you can really hammer down in that state. I've only driven through it 10 times or so and I was going pretty fast. I have yet to run into a state trooper taking radar there, I've seen a few people pulled over though.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Good find, that's awesome. Well there you have it, no laser used in PA. I wonder how anyone gets a speeding ticket in PA. Sounds like you can really hammer down in that state. I've only driven through it 10 times or so and I was going pretty fast. I have yet to run into a state trooper taking radar there, I've seen a few people pulled over though.
    IO + hill = owned.

Unfamiliar territory + VASCAR at night = owned.

I think I would actually welcome laser because it can be "transponded".

Professional

I think I would actually welcome laser because it can be "transponded".
    I would. Instead of wondering why you are being pulled over. At least if you get hit with a laser or radar alert you know what to expect if you get stopped.