Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default NY Speed Trap Regulations?

does anyone know of any specific regulations regarding officers setting up speed traps in NY? like where its legal or what not? i was wondering if they can set up traps when they're parked on private property and also something ive heard is that officers need to have their DRLs on while running radar otherwise it's considered entrapment or something along those lines and they arent supposed to run dark. is this true? any other help would be much appreciated.

Lead Foot

Default Re: NY Speed Trap Regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    does anyone know of any specific regulations regarding officers setting up speed traps in NY? like where its legal or what not? i was wondering if they can set up traps when they're parked on private property and also something ive heard is that officers need to have their DRLs on while running radar otherwise it's considered entrapment or something along those lines and they arent supposed to run dark. is this true? any other help would be much appreciated.

Nothing that I know of - Just urban myths. I have heard of judges and ADAs giving breaks to people who got tickets where the speed limit dropped suddenly and the officer basically ticketed them within 100 feet of the speed change, especially when the change is poorly marked.

I know Vermont law has something like the running lights, but I would never rely on one of these laws as my primary defense to a ticket.

Good Citizen

No Way is New York going to put regulations on Speed Traps. They need the revenue. LEO can sit on private property with permission from the owner. They definatley do not have on driving lights or any other kind of marker when running radar. They love to sit in used car dealer lots and shoot radar!!!! If you ever drive interstate 90 in New York, look for breaks in the tree lines and dirt paths in the median. That is a dead giveaway for a favorite spot...

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

"In criminal law, entrapment is when a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit an offense which the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit." - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment"]Entrapment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

An officer making a deliberate effort to hide himself and catch people already breaking the law cannot be engaged in entrapment.

Newcomer

oh alright guys thanks. i just wasnt sure cause ive heard a lot of things over the years... thanks again.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    No Way is New York going to put regulations on Speed Traps. They need the revenue. LEO can sit on private property with permission from the owner. They definatley do not have on driving lights or any other kind of marker when running radar. They love to sit in used car dealer lots and shoot radar!!!! If you ever drive interstate 90 in New York, look for breaks in the tree lines and dirt paths in the median. That is a dead giveaway for a favorite spot...
    I-290 is one big speed trap...all the "No U-Turn" areas especially and underneath the overpass for I-990...

Power User

In NYC, I've never seen a LEO stay in someones driveway. They're either on the street or on the side of the highway.

Good Citizen

Come upstate, Greece NY, they love driveways there. NYS Troopers in Western NY will find buisines to sit in, especially on rural highways if there is a used car dealership or junkyard. they hid quite well

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Come upstate, Greece NY, they love driveways there. NYS Troopers in Western NY will find buisines to sit in, especially on rural highways if there is a used car dealership or junkyard. they hid quite well
    Heh, I wouldn't doubt them camping anywhere upstate. Luckily there really is no place to do that here in NYC

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by samq45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post

Nothing that I know of - Just urban myths. I have heard of judges and ADAs giving breaks to people who got tickets where the speed limit dropped suddenly and the officer basically ticketed them within 100 feet of the speed change, especially when the change is poorly marked.

I know Vermont law has something like the running lights, but I would never rely on one of these laws as my primary defense to a ticket.
    Unfortunately, we don't get breaks on traffic offenses here in the city. No plea bargains or DA to chat with before you're hearing. You're either guilty or not guilty and it's nothing more than a kangaroo court system designed to push as many customers through as quickly as possible.