Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default i-78 pa question

what do they use on i-78 in pa around lehigh vally and hamburg? i was driving and went right by a cop behind a bridge and the radar detector didn't even make a peep. thanks in advance

Professional

Default Re: i-78 pa question

Maybe ENRADD (do a forum search)

Radar Fanatic

ENRADD or VASCAR. In PA only the state police can use radar to check speed, no laser allowed. They use K band in most areas and around the Philadelphia area I have run into a lot of Ka Band.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedUp View Post
    ENRADD or VASCAR. In PA only the state police can use radar to check speed, no laser allowed. They use K band in most areas and around the Philadelphia area I have run into a lot of Ka Band.
    If there were lines on the road, and it was a local cop, it was probably VASCAR.

If it was a statie, the RD probably didn't go off because the cop was using I/O (if it was a state trooper)...in my experience PSP usually visually check speed before shooting the radar gun.

Radar Fanatic

If you were on I-78 it was definitely a state trooper. The state police use K & some Ka band radar and are very selective. No alert, no radar used. (Unless your rd is broke)

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by KaPro View Post
    If you were on I-78 it was definitely a state trooper. The state police use K & some Ka band radar and are very selective. No alert, no radar used. (Unless your rd is broke)
    x2 that. I've never seen a local on an interstate, but I have seen the PSP sitting behind bridges, dirt cutouts and such shooting people in the back. Even if they aren't being perfectly selective with their IO, detection distance on forward facing radar can suck and it's easy to miss a shot.

Power User

I haven't been on the I78 in about 3 years and at that time I only ran into C/O K. It sucks that they are using new methods now, another reason why I won't be going back if not necessary.

Professional

I know that area very well, PSP use instant on K band. They do not target all cars. What detector do you have?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

If it was a statie, the RD probably didn't go off because the cop was using I/O
    X2

Today heading north on 476 near the tunnel there was a trooper just sitting there with his gun out the window. I got nothing from the V1.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by stano0098 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

If it was a statie, the RD probably didn't go off because the cop was using I/O
    X2

Today heading north on 476 near the tunnel there was a trooper just sitting there with his gun out the window. I got nothing from the V1.
    Classic PSP. I've had this happen to me quite a few times as well. Wicked deadly especially given that PSP are upgrading to the new lowpower handhelds.