Radar Fanatic

Default Milwaukee County (WI) Freeways

Heres an interesting speedtrap. And scanners may not be of much help here:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums...956#post197956

You have to admit they're ingenious using the walkie talkies!

Wisconsin motorists beware!

GTO_04

Professional

i live about 10 min away from where this speed trap was set. it is infact on my way to church and i pass it every sunday. usually they just have one or two sheriffs working one side or the other, pulling over one person after another. but they just park on the side of the road usually with instant on k band. havnt had my detector with me that much when i go through there, since i am driving with my parents and they arent wild on detectors...

personally i dont know why they would be worried about scanners for a few reasons:
    a) no one even uses them around here
    b) no speed traps are ever set except along that stretch of freeway
    c) hardly anyone uses a detector or even knows what one is
    d) same for laser jammers. everyone either thinks they are illegal or doesn't know what they are

i think that (excluding thanksgiving), i've seen about 3-4 real speed traps in the last year in my driving area. and i do quite a bit of driving (already 10000 miles this year since i got my grand am in june!). i wish cops wern't so lazy! haha well i guess thats a good thing :wink:

Professional

oh and for any other milwaukee county freeway drivers, i heard this on the radio and found this article. here it is if anyone wants to read it: http://www.jsonline.com/traffic/news/dec05/378650.asp

heres a few quotes

Quote Originally Posted by JS Online: "Speed Traps: You're Busted"
    Although law enforcements officers are loath to admit it, speeders who travel at 14 mph or less over the limit have little chance of getting a ticket. About 98% of the tickets were written to those going 15 mph or more over the limit. Those traveling 10 mph or less over the limit have virtually no chance of getting nabbed. Of the more than 14,000 citations in which the driver's speed was recorded, only seven listed the driver as going 10 mph or less over the limit.
    its quite interesting in the fact that 98% of people that were given tickets in the last year or so were all 15+ over the limit. makes me feel a little safer going 65ish along with the rest of traffic in the 55 zones

Quote Originally Posted by JS Online: "Speed Traps: You're Busted"
    "It's not just a revenue source and we're not just being jerks," Richards said. "This is about preventing accidents and keeping the freeways open for everyone."
    i dont quite agree with this quote, but i guess letting most people go under 15 over isn't so much for revenue. if they were busting folks for like 5-10 over all the time, then i'd say it was all revenue

just thought i'd post that in here considering its for milwaukee county freeway
    safe driving!
    Ted

Radar Fanatic

That is good to know.

The reason they're only ticketing 15MPH or more over the limit is because they have plenty of customers at that speed. If for some reason everyone slowed down and hardly anyone drove that fast, they would change the tolerance level.

I have seen this where I live and it is especially common in small towns. If enforcement is visible and aggressive, people will slow down at least while the police presence is high. If it continues, the cops will get more bold and stop people for lesser violations. Where I live, is not unusual for people to get pulled over for doing just 5 MPH over the limit. If anyone complains, they say "hey, the law's the law!" Revenue has to be raised and quotas have to be met. And yes, there are quotas.

Fortunately there is a new game in town and it's seatbelt enforcement. The cops like it because nobody contests the tickets in court, the fine is low, and it's easy to do. Can't really blame them. And wearing seatbelts is a good idea. There are no points on the license. So it's just like another tax and no big deal. Excuse my cynicism but I would rather see this than aggressive speed enforcement. They even have cops hide in the bushes with binoculars pointing out vehilces to other officers stationed down the road.

GTO_04

Professional

usually the average speed of traffic is 65-70 in the 2 right lanes and the left lane is usually 65-75ish so yes they do get quite a few customers at that speed.

currently we only have about 60% compliance for seatbelts so they are pulling A LOT of people over for that. i know my dad is one of those who is in the 40% who never wears his seatbelt and i'm trying hard to get him to. whenever i'm driving i make everyone in my car have their seatbelt on becuase i know that i will get a citation if pulled over forthem not having their belt on, even if i'm wearing mine. i think its a good law for them to have. i would agree that i would rather see more of this enforcement than speed enforcement. in my opinion, speeding should be an offence, but speeding excessively to the point of being reckless, or to the point where you are putting yourself or someone else in danger, should be

Experienced

The picture of the sheriff in the first article is brent smoot. He is a total f%cking tool