Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default GA trip what should I know?

My sister in-law had emergency open heart surgery this morning (5/13/2010) so we are leaving for Woodstock GA Friday eve to see her. Anything on I75 in GA I should watch out for?
    Thanks.
    V7

Banned

Default Re: GA trip what should I know?

Georgia is really good with the CB radio. 95+% of the encounters I've seen have been called out in advance by the CB. GSP tends to run K band with occasional Ka band. You won't find any X band. Closer towards Atlanta you'll encounter a lot of laser (even by GSP) - I mention that because I don't know your route. If you're coming up from the south there's a lot of radar running from Tifton, GA to about 10 miles north of Tifton, they seem to like the center median. Same thing from about Macon to 10 miles north of Macon, that area is active. 75 north of Atlanta it gets pretty active around Kennesaw and also Cartersville (they like shooting from the over passes).
    Last edited by The Chariot; 05-13-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by voyager7 View Post
    My sister in-law had emergency open heart surgery this morning (5/13/2010) so we are leaving for Woodstock GA Friday eve to see her. Anything on I75 in GA I should watch out for?
    Thanks.
    V7

Sorry to hear that your sister-in-law is ill and hope she be okay. When you do leave try having a rabbit most if not all the way. I see that you have the ix let us know on how it preform.

Good Citizen

sorry to hear about your sister in law man. If you're coming up from the south, you won't have to worry about laser until you get closer into atlanta. Just north of macon it is multi lane with a concrete center divider, they like to sit against that center divider and run from a rear antenna. Once you get into Henry county they will likely be in the median, they have some good hiding spots in the trees so keep and eye out.

Radar Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I should of said coming from the North.
    But all info is good. I will have the c.b in the car, never travel without one.
    The IX has always preformed well this will be my 3rd long trip with it.
    I have never noticed them shooting from the overpass in Cartersville before I will keep my eye open thanks for the heads up. We would of left this morning but the Cobra is getting a new FRP clutch to handle the increased power I added earlier this week. The old one would slip under full throttle and that's not good. Well Chariot I know you are wondering what I had done to the car, here is the list.
    2.8 pulley (14 lbs boost), New belt and tensioner, BBK high flow catted X, NGK spark plugs, and a custom dyno tune. I had Flowmasters and a cai already on it. She now has 530 HP at the clutch.
    I am going to check back here before we leave tonight to see if anyone else added some info.

Newcomer

I've driven Atlanta to Chattanooga a few times a month for the past 5 years and it's really not that heavily policed.

I've heard that Catoosa County likes to watch the area from the TN line to the last Riggold exit, but I've only seen them a few times.

You're somewhat likely to see locals out in Tunnel Hill (Just North of Dalton) and Resaca (Just South of Dalton), though they've been less common lately.

I've also seen GSP out a lot in the same general area, generally parked in the median, shooting Laser.

I rarely see anything between Calhoun and Marietta. Marietta has been out a lot more recently with multiple chase cars for revenue generation.

Inside the Metro area watch out for GSP, both on on-ramps shooting rear laser, and backed up on the sides of the interstate. The 10 mile stretch from 285 to the connector is probably the most heavily patrolled section of interstate in the state of Georgia, it's rare that I didn't see at least 2 GSP in that section. (I've driven this 3-4 times a day for 2 years)

I don't think anything about passing anyone in the state at 79 in the 70 psl zones, and you're probably safe up to 84. They seem fine with low 70's in the 55 zones in Atlanta, but they never have to wait too long to stop someone.

It's really not a bad drive and generally I can pick up an 85+ rabbit, but it all depends on the time of day and the traffic density. It's also not uncommon to not see any law enforcement for the entire trip.

Sorry to hear about you sister-in-law. Good Luck.

Radar Fanatic

I think I'm going to take the short cut from Cleveland TN to Dalton so I'll miss Chattanooga and the traffic. I learned that one living in Rocky Face GA as a kid. The last time I drove it was last fall not a bad road at all and it does cut some time off.

Radar Fanatic

Thanks again for the info.
    I will give a report when I return.

Radar Fanatic

She is stable but still in critical condition.

Good Citizen

glad you had a safe trip man. Hope she recovers.