Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default PSP - New Lightbars??

My town was holding it's annual craft "event" today and there was a marked PSP unit roving around throughout the day to deal with traffic issues, miscreants, etc. It did not have the usual Federal Signals Vector lightbar but a more conventional boxy rectangular looking lo-pro LED bar, maybe a Fed Sig Legend: http://www.fedsig.com/industry_solut...ch1635_407.pdf

I've never seen our local barracks involved in testing new equipment, so I have to assume it's going to become the new standard. Also a month or so ago, a friend in Harrisburg saw one of the new Ford Taurus PIs in PSP markings, which was likely a test since it isn't generally available yet: 2012 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Revealed!
    That will be formidable, available with the 365BHP EcoBoost V6 AND four wheel drive!!

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: PSP - New Lightbars??

Yeah... all our state LEO's up north started moving over to those years upon years ago... and now the Sheriff and local departments are getting funding.

They are a PITA to see (especially the white/clear ones) on the top of a white patrol car.

Not to mention they are literally BLINDING under certain circumstances (even when you don't look at them).

Good-luck spotting those from now one... I feel for ya.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Yeah... all our state LEO's up north started moving over to those years upon years ago... and now the Sheriff and local departments are getting funding.

They are a PITA to see (especially the white/clear ones) on the top of a white patrol car.

Not to mention they are literally BLINDING under certain circumstances (even when you don't look at them).

Good-luck spotting those from now one... I feel for ya.
    Yeah NJSP white cruisers and clear light bar make it hard to pick out but thankfully they still stick to the crown victorias so the headlights are the give away.

OP I hope they aren't switching as I am so used to looking for the traditional red and blue v lights

Good Citizen

Yep, I first saw him head-on as he approached in the opposite lane. I initially disregarded it as a threat since until now, the only CVPIs in my local area with un-colored light bar lenses were fire chiefs. Then I saw the "PA" prefixed front license tag and it clicked that it was PSP.

Now I need to recalibrate my eyeballs to not reject that 'bar configuration...and start memorizing the new Taurus head/tail light pattern as the end of the line for CVPIs is coming soon.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by pgb2 View Post
    Yep, I first saw him head-on as he approached in the opposite lane. I initially disregarded it as a threat since until now, the only CVPIs in my local area with un-colored light bar lenses were fire chiefs. Then I saw the "PA" prefixed front license tag and it clicked that it was PSP.

Now I need to recalibrate my eyeballs to not reject that 'bar configuration...and start memorizing the new Taurus head/tail light pattern as the end of the line for CVPIs is coming soon.
    haha, yeah I love those V lightbars, they're so easy to see from far away. Disappointed to see them go away. I don't think you'll see widespread Taurus' with the PSP, because of funding. I'd bet that the Turnpike crew get them first, though, which is the worst place for them to be.

Good Citizen

I don't think you'll see widespread Taurus' with the PSP, because of funding.
    There won't be an abrupt change, but PSP does have a regular retirement schedule (which hasn't been affected much by budgets) for their vehicles which will need to replaced with something after the CVPI line closes in 2011. Who knows, maybe they won't find pricing for the Taurus to be acceptable and go with all GM SUVs? Or better yet, be the launch customer for the Carbon E7 which is to be available in 2012 as well.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by pgb2 View Post
    I don't think you'll see widespread Taurus' with the PSP, because of funding.
    [There won't be an abrupt change, but PSP does have a regular retirement schedule (which hasn't been affected much by budgets) for their vehicles which will need to replaced with something after the CVPI line closes in 2011. Who knows, maybe they won't find pricing for the Taurus to be acceptable and go with all GM SUVs? Or better yet, be the launch customer for the Carbon E7 which is to be available in 2012 as well.
    Good point, didn't think of this. In any case, I think they will stick with the Fords and we will see them first on the turnpike. The new low powered K band guns scare me more than anything the PSP has gotten recently, though. I'd almost prefer they'd go to moving so they'd upgrade to stalker duals or the like and maybe use constant on radar.
    Last edited by Myriad; 06-07-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Good Citizen

Today I got more evidence that PSP may be testing new lightbars. I saw a marked cruiser equipped with a Federal Signals Vector/Vision (V-Shaped) bar that had completely clear lenses on all 7 pods, which implies LEDs. According to their website, they do make LED versions of those models ( V-Shaped LED | Lightbars ) BUT the color of the lense must match the color of the LED unit.

I'm guessing they want to make their cruisers more stealthy and are trying various solutions to evaluate cost, effectiveness, safety, reliability, etc. and are possibly getting one-off units for testing purposes. It was raining so I could not see the unit identifiers on the front quarter panel to determine whether the CVPI was from my local barracks or possibly headquarters in Harrisburg.
    Last edited by pgb2; 06-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

At first I thought this was just another sign of the PSP stepping up the game against us, but then I remembered something...

Last year when I was pulled over, before the cop came up to my car he spent a good 45 seconds messing around with... something... inside the car as he struggled to get the old lightbar to work for more than 2 seconds. Not sure if it was a problem with the bar or an electrical problem with the car, but it's not inconceivable that LEDs have better reliability than the old motorized jobs.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    At first I thought this was just another sign of the PSP stepping up the game against us, but then I remembered something...

Last year when I was pulled over, before the cop came up to my car he spent a good 45 seconds messing around with... something... inside the car as he struggled to get the old lightbar to work for more than 2 seconds. Not sure if it was a problem with the bar or an electrical problem with the car, but it's not inconceivable that LEDs have better reliability than the old motorized jobs.
    This sounds reasonable. I think they've been converting more slicktop marked cars too, I've been seeing them quite a bit more in the Philly area. I see about 5-6 PSP a day when I commute so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any changes.