Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Victorville to Las Vegas

I drove to Southern California Sunday and came back home Tuesday. I talked with an old neighbor in S. California who told me he heard from his CHP buddy that they are increasing patrols on the I-15 from Victorville to stateline. FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR. He said he was tagged by one of the speed traps and received a ticket on that drive recently.

Supposedly, they are running airplanes and/or an undercover car that radios ahead to waiting CHP chasers. This is supposed to go on for the rest of the year. They have pulled several officers from several different areas to participate.

This guy tends to exaggerate a bit. However, on my way back Tuesday I did see a LOT more CHP than I normally do on that drive. Especially for a Tuesday. I saw 6 or 7 cruisers. Most I have ever seen before was 2. I did NOT see any airplane patrols. I also tried to really pay attention to the cars I passed to see if they looked like an undercover officer. No ticket, so must not have passed one!

Newcomer

Default Re: Victorville to Las Vegas

I read in one of the Stickies that CHP is using white Camaros as decoys. I will be driving that road back and forth this weekend.

Professional

for enforcement of traffic laws, the officer MUST be in a marked vehicle and in uniform. PERIOD. You need not worry about unmarked cars with radar. I havnt seen those white camaros, most of them are in museums now, but the all white P71s are your real unmarked terror. Also, if you get popped by an unmarked guy who called it in, case dismissed because if he used laser in a completely unmarked car, its violation of CA law.

Lead Foot

I didn't say the unmarked car had radar. Supposedly they are using the unmarked car as a spotter. In addtion, CHP is pretty good at pacing.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Sincity View Post
    I read in one of the Stickies that CHP is using white Camaros as decoys. I will be driving that road back and forth this weekend.
    You can ignore that Camaro thing. It's been up there forever. CHP doesn't use them any more. The only two cars that I've seen CHP use in the last two years are Crown Vics and Chargers.

As far as speed enforcement goes, there's always enforcement on that stretch. Radar travels for miles out there, so that's not too difficult and they use laser, espcecially around the Barstow area. If they use planes and/or unmarked spotter cars, that evidence is not admissable in a California court, so they must aquire your speed with a cruiser on the ground. Avoid that and you're golden.

Newcomer

Good to know. I always play nice in Baker, Barstow and Victorville.

Newcomer

On the way out from Vegas to CA, 2 NHP vehicles going opposite direction. I was doing about 80 in a 70 zone and a rabbit appeared (white minivan), passing me at about 95. Crossed the border, up the summit, and on the way down, the rabbit got hit with Ka by CHP. Encountered 2 more CHP vehicles from the Summit to Barstow. One CHP was running X and then switched to Ka. Not sure of the frequencies. From Barstow to to the Cajon pass, saw two CHP vehicles on the side of the road. One 5 miles south of Barstow ( on NB side) and one at the bottom of the Cajon pass on SB side. Both vehicles must be in observation mode because they didn't use radar or laser.

Radar Fanatic

Baker, Barstow and Victorville and where are those area. I will be going to Vegas down I-5 in Cali. and cutting over to I-15?

Radar Fanatic

I found it now.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by spartcus View Post
    I found it now.
    Did not encounter laser, other than from the Lexus LS that I passed.