Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA Enforcement

Newcomer

Default PA Enforcement

I know that in PA only the state police are allowed to use radar. Are the state police the only force allowed to monitor the interstate highways? Many of the local police use VASCAR. What are the restrictions placed on them regarding where they can set up? Is any highway that passes through their jurisdiction fair game as long as it is not an I?

Good Citizen

Default Traffic Enforcement in PA

IIRC there is a section in Title 75 that generally limits enforcement on Interstates to the state police BUT they can request assistance from local police when the situation requries it. Note that this does NOT include US routes (e.g. 322, 15, 30) or state routes (581) built to interstate standards. These are fair game for local and state police.

BTW, speed enforcement in PA is on the verge of changing radically (by our standards.) This bill has passed the transportation committee and is up for approval in the legislature: http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...B0285P0292.pdf
    Basically, this bill allows for the use of RADAR and LIDAR by local police within a set of restrictions.

3-4 times in as many years a bill like this has been floating around. It's closer than it ever has been to passing. I recently found a document that tracks government activity in PA and saw that Ka band has been added to the list of frequencies in the calibration procedures used by labs that work on PSP's radar units.

For this reason I've been lurking the board as I know that it's time to replace my ancient Passport. You know, the first "micro sized" RD made back when Cincinnati Microwave still existed? As I don't travel out of state much, I've been able to survive by this device and wits alone but I know that likely will not be enough soon.

I'd like to close by saying that the information I've found here has been extremely helpful and I'll try to contribute as much as I can in future.

Radar Fanatic

I don't know how you guys handle it on PA highways. On a recent trip from Cleveland to DC, the entire way through PA I had constant radar warnings ( I had a 8500 then) from those damned "Your speed is ....." signs. I didnt' see an actual cop the whole way, but those signs drove me nuts.... every 10 miles.

Founder of Stealthvation

I said it before and I will say it again, I would rather face radar and LIDAR any day of the week than the deadly VASCAR.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    I said it before and I will say it again, I would rather face radar and LIDAR ANY day of the week than the deadly VASCAR.
    Eh, it depends on what you're used to I guess. Honestly, the local police have specific spots where they use it and it becomes well known after awhile. Usually there are lines painted on the road to help "remind" you as well. Some officers will even add additional "landmarks" along the road in the form of a milk jug, soda bottle, or sometimes even an orange construction cone! Because of this, there isn't much imagination used in the traps I encounter and you can just slow down where you know they sit and check before continuing at "normal" pace.

Years ago, our troopers also had it in addition to RADAR but I haven't seen a VASCAR unit in their cruiser's since the late '80's.

Newcomer

Default VASCAR

I don't think I will be upset if they pass the law to allow the locals to use radar. At least we can pick up the signal most of the time. With VASCAR you don't have a chance. Sure, I know where they set up in my neck of the woods. What is bothersome is when you are in a new area on the interstate type roads that the locals patrol. Tough to get down in time when you are rolling.

Good Citizen

At least we can pick up the signal most of the time. With VASCAR you don't have a chance.
    The thing to remember is that it likely won't be a wholesale change. Many small departments may not even bother or won't be able to use RADAR/LIDAR because of the bill restricting use to "full service police departments" and "full-time officers" who have attended the state police approved training. VASCAR will still compose a large percentage of speed enforcement tactics in PA for years to come.

Default only state troopers can use radar?

I'm new to the site. I just got a speeding ticket in a non state police zone with a police officer using radar. Are you saying that they aren't allowed to do that? Could someone give me some info on this or a link to somewhere that can? Thanks

Good Citizen

What state do you live in? PA is the only state I know of that has thus far restricted use of RADAR to the state police.

Default pa

I live in pa. It was Northern Regional Police that gave me the ticket.