Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default OK...who REALLY uses X-band?

It seems to be a general consensus on this forum that X-band is completely dead except for NJ. But, I just looked at the "List of radar bands in the U.S." sticky-thread and there are TWENTY states that say X-band is in use. So, whats the true story? Who has actually had 1st-hand X-band experience in their state? I can confirm that it is indeed still used in NJ, but I am just wondering about everyone else. Can I really confidently turn off X-band?

Professional

Default Re: OK...who REALLY uses X-band?

The last real X band hit I experienced was in NC, 2 years ago near Raleigh...local sherriff

Mobile Installer

leave it on unless your state does not use it turn it off.

Radar Fanatic

It's used heavily in Ohio, and I have encountered it in Kentucky. The "Bands by Town" thread is conveniant, but not 100% accurate by any means.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ki1022 View Post
    It seems to be a general consensus on this forum that X-band is completely dead except for NJ. But, I just looked at the "List of radar bands in the U.S." sticky-thread and there are TWENTY states that say X-band is in use. So, whats the true story? Who has actually had 1st-hand X-band experience in their state? I can confirm that it is indeed still used in NJ, but I am just wondering about everyone else. Can I really confidently turn off X-band?
    Welcome noob. Go searching before posting these topics. Several states run X band still. The highway patrol uses X band daily in Ohio.

Yoda of Radar

Last time I saw X-band was in New Jersey a couple months back.

Also of note there:

Ambulances-(likely going to shootings, stabbings, and other nice gang-related happenings) in and around Camden/Trenton...

Then when we got to Philly there were potholes that ate Kia's for breakfast, Civic's for lunch, and city buses for dinner.

What did the potholes do for snacks you say? Worry not! Pedestrians walking, bicycles, roller-blades, and in all others forms were personally treated to a 3D showing of the movie "Tremors".

Advanced Member

Oregon uses it. Someone else on the forum warned me when I traveled on business there a few months back to turn on X band. I did get one alert on X from a passing trooper. So it's not dead yet.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Radar Fanatic

Let's see if we can sum this up:

NJ, OR, NC.

Am I missing anything?

Professional

I got an X alert from an FHP in Fort Lauderdale 6 months ago. I was shocked to say the least, at I haven't seen it in maybe 10 years before that, and that was the local PD where I live. I figured the state troopers would have only the modern equipment.

The lesson here is that you never know the the LEO's are going to pull out of the closet and put into service. Leaving X band on has little impact on your RD, leave it on unless you know for sure. It's cheaper than finding out the hard way.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by th3 factory freak View Post
    Let's see if we can sum this up:

NJ, OR, NC.

Am I missing anything?
    Yes.

MD, VA, NC, OR, OH, NJ, IN, TN, and pretty much anywhere in the south or midwest in the middle of bum **** no where. You can bet they still run it. Read the radar bands by state and counties and decide yourself.