Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radar in PA

Newcomer

Default Radar in PA

The annual attempt to let the locals use radar is in the legislature again. Seems it might pass this time because they are taking a different approach. The current bill would set up a pilot program allowing selected municipalities to use radar. The stated logic is they can then monitor the results and discontinue the program if there are abuses.

What a joke! Sounds like a way for the state to try to get a share of a new revenue source.

Professional

Did the article say when it could come into effect? Would the local police use K band?

Lead Foot

Default Re: Radar in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    The annual attempt to let the locals use radar is in the legislature again. Seems it might pass this time because they are taking a different approach. The current bill would set up a pilot program allowing selected municipalities to use radar. The stated logic is they can then monitor the results and discontinue the program if there are abuses.

What a joke! Sounds like a way for the state to try to get a share of a new revenue source.
    Where is the source? I'd like to read about this.

Professional

Where is the source? I'd like to read about this.
    All I can find about radar in PA is the Genesis debacle a few years ago.
    Where did you get your info. Zelmo?

Newcomer

The bill was actually introduced last March and was amended in May, but it got swamped by the pay raise fiasco. It is supposed to come up for a vote soon.

http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...B1050P1964.pdf

Professional

The bill was actually introduced last March and was amended in May, but it got swamped by the pay raise fiasco. It is supposed to come up for a vote soon.
    Nicely done.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't get adopted. More revenue for PA.
    I love the line in the first page "This section does not apply to a person who was operating a pedalcycle or an animal drawn vehicle."
    Only in PA! I grew up in eastern PA where the amish & meninites still use horse & buggy to get around. :shock:

Professional

Hell, if I were in PA, I'd hope that laser was allowed for locals. Those VASCAR traps are hell to catch, and I'll take a lazy cop with constant-on over one that's actually paying attention to lines on the road any day.

Speed Demon

I would be unhappy if the locals used laser...

Lead Foot

Default Re: Radar in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo

Has anyone heard any new information on this?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Hell, if I were in PA, I'd hope that laser was allowed for locals. Those VASCAR traps are hell to catch, and I'll take a lazy cop with constant-on over one that's actually paying attention to lines on the road any day.
    Not to dredge up an old topic but I like the way it is set up now.

I try not to go more than 10 mph over around town and keep it under 30 in neighborhoods so I'm not really worried about VASCAR.

Keeping the locals off the highway and away from trying to be revenue generators using RADAR is a much more important item for me. Because the locals so rarely are permitted to patrol the highway that means very, very few VASCAR traps on the highway, and virtually none on interstates. On the interstate you only have to worry about aerial VASCAR and for that you just slow down when you enter one of the *clearly* marked zones.

I haven't seen any more news about RADAR for locals although the bastards keep trying to get the state to give it to them.