Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default RX65 effectiveness in Pennsylvania?

I am in the market for my first detector after driving out to Pitt from danville with a buddy who has a redline.

a sale on the RX65, 200 shipped until the 3rd.

I have read lots on here and and other forums.

I will be driving primarily to and from school, 80 miles a day, from bloomsburg to williamsport.
    I will take 54 to 180 99% of the time. sometimes going home 180 to 80.
    or 15s to 80.

From what I have read K band is what is mainly being used, many false alerts on Ka from signs( drones from what I have gathered in reading)

I am curious about the falcon HR gun against the RX65.

Please enlighten me.
    Last edited by GreenRadar; 11-01-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: listing non radarbuster dealer

Speed Demon

Default Re: RX65 effectiveness in Pennsylvania?

i bought my father an RX65 last christmas, and we've used it on one road trip that took us out there, and it seemed good for the encounters we had. We didnt see many LEOs aside from near the turnpikes. but regardless, the RX65 was my "gateway drug" into performance radar detectors lol. i like its off axis detection the most. it'll pick up signals from around corners impressively well.

its awesome. you'll love it. idk if you've ever owned a higher end radar detector to compare it to something like a cobra, but its a night and day difference.

Professional

At what frequency did you guys hit radar? I don't mean the frequency of the radar bands, I mean how many times did the detector go off during your trip? I'm just curious as you took a decent length trip across PA exclusively, in some areas that are filled with PSP more than others.

I don't utilize radar in my own duties so I can't help you with the detector or the radar itself. But yeah, 90 percent of the actual radar used in PA is K band, actually it's probably more like 95%. There's a few Ka band guns wandering around but not enough to worry about.

Good luck to ya! PA is a tough one when choosing a detector from what my eyes can see.

RadarBusters Associate

that's a good price. The RX65 is a real good detector, just make sure that you would be getting it brand new and authorized from an authorized dealer.

Newcomer

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I contacted ****** and asked if they knew the firmware version, I was told they have no way of checking; however there turnover ratio is high enough that It should be the newest out, although they can't make any guarantees. <-- sorry if that's a run on...
    Back to class.
    Last edited by GreenRadar; 11-01-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: listing non radarbusters dealers

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by krypton2 View Post
    At what frequency did you guys hit radar? I don't mean the frequency of the radar bands, I mean how many times did the detector go off during your trip? I'm just curious as you took a decent length trip across PA exclusively, in some areas that are filled with PSP more than others.

I don't utilize radar in my own duties so I can't help you with the detector or the radar itself. But yeah, 90 percent of the actual radar used in PA is K band, actually it's probably more like 95&#37;. There's a few Ka band guns wandering around but not enough to worry about.

Good luck to ya! PA is a tough one when choosing a detector from what my eyes can see.
    it couldnt have been more than 3 or 4x in Pennsylvania the entire way. (yeah it was a lengthy trip in general lol. we went to pittsburgh first, and then from there drove to south carolina.)

Gas............................................... .................................................. ....$150
    Food.............................................. .................................................. .....$75
    Beltronics RX65.............................................. ........................................$250
    Seeing your dad's face light up as his new Radar Detector breaks in............Priceless
    Last edited by DUI Elite; 11-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Professional

I say the RX65 with be enough to save you from C/O But even the best detector on the market will fail you from I/O with those deadly Falcon HR shots. Just make sure you speed smart and always use rabbits.

Newcomer

That is the main thing I am worried about, the I/O, that is why 99.5&#37; of the time I have at least one rabbit to follow at a distance where I can react in time.

I will be ordering the RX65, for $200 I feel I can't pass it up

Professional

I like my RX65. As long as your understand the limitations of the unit and drive accordingly, it is a good detector with good suppressing in the City with AutoScan and a decent highway cruiser in Highway Mode.... It is pretty good on KA 35.5 especially.....

With PSP, the RX65 will fail on short QT, but greater than half a second I/O you should be good....

Above all, remember the rabbits....

Newcomer

edit, ordered. Will report on how I like it.

Next up I will need to research laser jammers.
    Last edited by hootyburra; 11-01-2010 at 07:08 PM.