Advanced Member

Default Memphis TN I-240 Ka Signals.....

Traveling east then north thru Memphis on I-240 in between 72 and 40 on the east side of town, I got about 10 Ka alarms about every mile marker. Traffic was so bad, I could not pay attention to the V1, for it was a true rat race with young drivers laying down in their car seats with the one hand on top of the steering wheel, all you could see was the top of their heads (black curly hair) running in and out of traffic missing drivers by inches with no turn signals hauling ass like a bat out of hell, therefore I had to drive defensive and could not look to see if I saw any Ka band cameras or road sensors. They seem to be some type of road sensors monitoring traffic is my guess but it my first Ka experience of these. Anybody have a clue?......

Professional

Default Re: Memphis TN I-240 Ka Signals.....

I've driven through that same area multiple times with my V1 and never get a peep unless there's a cop out there. I guess it has probably been maybe two months since I've been out there with my detector, I live in N Mississippi and try to avoid that area like the plague because of the traffic. If there is something out there, it is VERY new.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    Traveling east then north thru Memphis on I-240 in between 72 and 40 on the east side of town, I got about 10 Ka alarms about every mile marker. Traffic was so bad, I could not pay attention to the V1, for it was a true rat race with young drivers laying down in their car seats with the one hand on top of the steering wheel, all you could see was the top of their heads (black curly hair) running in and out of traffic missing drivers by inches with no turn signals hauling ass like a bat out of hell, therefore I had to drive defensive and could not look to see if I saw any Ka band cameras or road sensors. They seem to be some type of road sensors monitoring traffic is my guess but it my first Ka experience of these. Anybody have a clue?......
    Memphis is one of the most dangerous cities I have ever lived in (to drive or just go out of your house). I have never encountered Ka on 240 though. Memphis cops only use LIDAR, unless some sheriff deputies were out there. I would sometimes pick up Ka driving on the south end of the loop near MS, but I think that was mostly nearby MS LEOs using radar.

I totally understand your "near miss" problem. Memphis has one of the highest rates of uninsured motorists, yet people drive like a-holes all the time. The newest thing is for people to start driving in the emergency lanes on the interstate if there is too much traffic. Sometimes I just want to move my car over so they can't get by, except people in Memphis will shoot you. The other thing I love to see is the numb nuts with big rims and those skinny "rubberband tires" when it rains. Typically you see those rims on crappy old cars without ABS, and when they have to stop those tires have 0 grip. They end up hitting someone, they don't have insurance, etc.

Advanced Member

It is on the east side of the I-240 loop about every mile, I did notice the mile markers close to every alarm. These sensors were aimed southward (no rear alarms when heading north) with a 1/8-1/4 weak max distance warning as the best I can remember which would be to much of a warning distance if they were cameras I would think, maybe not with a lot of traffic reflections. When upon the source, the signals got strong like they were pointed down upon or across the interstate. Ka signals are rare that often and spaced about the same distance apart, but for traffic control? Ka? Could be cameras but did not notice anything on the side of the road, but then again, did not have time to notice....

Professional

Nah, no photo radar around Memphis, although one of the bozos on the city council suggested adding the functionality to the existing red light cameras as a way of generating additional revenue for the city. Fortunately that didn't go anywhere.

Radar Fanatic

Ka Guard OFF? I've had some werid pulsing evert couple of minutes on Ka with Guard OFF when around Whistler/Cobra.

Radar Fanatic

Yes, there are now Ka traffic sensors.

Advanced Member

I had the Ka Guard on at that time, lots of traffic. The same distance ramp up was the same everytime except the first 3-4 which could have been local radar or something off of the I-240 because I did not pay much attention to the first few, just only when it started to repeat. Traffic was crazy so I did not get to investigate because I would have turned around and followed the same path again. The latter sources show that they were stationary and not pointed to where a strong long distance alarm could happen. But near the source, the V1 would go full scale then drop off with the arrows indicating that I just passed it quickly and that the signal was pointed Southward, just like a Ka traffic monitor would do. Maybe I can get back to the same area soon....Thanks Guys!.. P.S.- It just hit me, the signals may have been from the over head large signs ever so often before the interstate splits which would be traffic monitors.......
    Last edited by North Alabama; 07-10-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Speed Demon

I went through Memphis on I-240 last October and did not get any Ka alerts on my V1. Of course, a lot can change in 7-8 months.

Good Citizen

That is pretty bizarre. I drive on 240 almost once a week and haven't experienced that. I know for a fact there are no speed cams, and neither my x50 nor my V1 (guard on) have ever picked that up.