Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anything that actually works with peace of mind for VA?

I read around and I can't seem to get a straight answer to save my life. Is there anything that basically undetectable and safe for use in VA without much worry? After reading reviews I can't really determine the answer. So far, from what I've read, the Redline may be the only one that actually does the job. Is that correct? any help on this subject would be much appreciated!

P.S. I'm not looking for RD for the speed aspect as much as just knowing when cops are around so I can just be really extra careful. I get tickets all the time for really retarded stuff and am tired of it.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: anything that actually works with peace of mind for VA?

Any stealth detector with an m3 antenna will work for va

Your other options are the 9500ci, beltronics sti driver/magnum and the sti-r plus which is the best.

Stupid phone auto correct

ahh I see, from what I was reading the STI (not sure about others) is detected by the spectre elite RDD though. is that not correct?

Radar Fanatic

I saw that thread and I think that particular STI was borked.

The redline is better anyway.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

A radar detector is not a cop detector. All it does is alert you that radar is being used, and a good percentage of the time it doesn't even do that because the cop is using instant-on.

Most cops that aren't actively looking for speeders don't drive around with their radar units on to warn you to start driving sensibly. That's not to say it would never help, but you'd probably have more success by not making yourself a target in the first place.

Newcomer

What I like is distance & range with a high end detector, because LEO's can use instant on, hopefully they have tagged someone in front of me (checking traffic) & that gives me the heads up to check my speed. These guys get bored and check cars frequently, then I have already set my cruise for a safe speed, until I think it's safe to pick it up again.

I have the STi, it's great, get the Redline, it's better.

Radar Fanatic

Yep what they said and don't forget your eyes.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RepealVaRadarDetectorBan View Post
    A good CB Radio helps too.
    X2

Newcomer

I run a V1 every day in VA Beach. I doubt a cop will be able to pick my car out from the crowd if his spectre goes off. I would much rather have the QT detection of the V1 and have the possibility of a RD ticket than be susceptible to an expensive speeding ticket. I have one RD ticket and it was due to my own stupidity:

Only one car behind me about a mile on a deserted stretch of road, I get a rear K-band signal and don't QA it and just nail the brakes. He runs up on me with the gumballs lit up and walks to the window saying "It's pretty obvious you have a radar detector when you brake when I turn my radar on..."

I knew better....

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by RepealVaRadarDetectorBan View Post
    A good CB Radio helps too.
    I disagree with this. Unless you drive on a major highway with lots of truckers, it's mostly pointless. Half the time you are listening to static, and the other times where you hear chatter it might just be a stupid base station, or random truckers yelling at each other.

Plus having a giant antenna sticking out looks horrible IMO outside of a pickup truck or SUV.