Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is California Highway Patrol / CHP shooting something the V1 doesn't pick up?

3.872 V1, programmed per the newbie guide with typical custom settings, small L mode.

I got tagged tonight for 7 over (accurate) and let go with a warning; all the while my V1 was silent and not lit up. Aside from tonight's case, I've noticed drive-bys where the V1 doesn't react as the LEO goes past to pull someone over.

Are they shooting something new or has this been known for a while? I've only had the V1 for about a year and it has saved me a few times with Ka and laser but this time I was on my own.

This was in San Jose near Milpitas.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Is California Highway Patrol / CHP shooting something the V1 doesn't pick up?

Tagged with what speed measurement?

Default Re: Is California Highway Patrol / CHP shooting something the V1 doesn't pick up?

Quote Originally Posted by NormSky View Post
    Tagged with what speed measurement?
    I couldn't hear the LEO too clearly over passing traffic but I want to say he said laser or LIDAR, or something else with an "L" sound at the beginning.

If you were asking about the speed I was going, 72 in a 65.

what was the distance on the hit ?

distance should tell you it's laser and if your v1 should have caught it.

Radar Fanatic

Was he on the side of the road shooting, or moving from his patrol car? If he was on the side of the road you probably got hit with laser.

Do you have K band enabled on your V1?

CHP also do a lot of pacing so if he was moving you could have been paced.
    Last edited by Obsidian; 03-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Lead Foot

V1 rarely misses a laser shot and radar seems out of the question. My guess is pacing or you just happened to be in the 5% hits that the V1 didn't pick up. All laser/radar guns out there are detectable by the V1

Thanks for all the responses. Pacing does make sense and would explain the drive-by hits too. He was on the side of the road and pulled out as I passed him, which made me think a missed hit, but he was behind me for a few seconds before I saw his lights. I got scatterbrained and figured 7 over was OK without slowing down.

I have K band muted to 6 lights. I might've missed it but at night I'm fairly aware of the display.

For future reference, seeing as how pacing seems to be more common now, is there a way to get out of a pacing hit without giving yourself away?

Radar Fanatic

A pacing ticket for 22349 is one of the hardest speeding tickets to beat in California. Best bet in that case is a Trial by Written Declaration and hope the officer does not respond.
    Last edited by Obsidian; 03-17-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Old Timer

Sounds like pacing or k band radar. A lot of pacing is used. Also, Vascar which is only detected by either your eyes or a CB radio.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember View Post
    Sounds like pacing or k band radar. A lot of pacing is used. Also, Vascar which is only detected by either your eyes or a CB radio.
    VASCAR is illegal in California.