Default List of State/county RADAR/LIDAR laws

Just joined Forum, glad I found it. Hope my first question is not too much of a newbie question...

Seems to me RADAR/LIDAR laws differ from state to state. Also seems like it varies from state to state whether radar or laser gun can be legally used by the police in each state. Furthermore, in some states certain police/areas of said state prefer radar while other cops/areas prefer laser or vice versa. Seems some states OUTLAW RADAR/LIDAR SCRAMBLERS as well. Not trying to yell with all-caps, just not trying to mix-up scramblers vs detectors vs guns, etc.

So does anyone know of a list/database that lists specific RADAR/LIDAR laws for each state, specifically for the state of WA? Ask because I am considering getting a LIDAR scrambler for my car, but dunno if scramblers are legal in WA state. From what I can tell, seems RADAR detectors work great, LIDAR detectors dont work in time, RADAR detectors are ILLEGAL in US, LIDAR detectors are LEGAL in some states.

Ideally, LIDAR scramblers are legal in WA state, then I'd get one in addition to a RADAR detector if within budget.

Found the post that lists RADAR/LIDAR type used by state and by area, that was helpful. What about any info/data points on proportion of RADAR/LIDAR used by area/state and whether cops prefer one over the other in each state/area? FWIW, I have heard that generally speaking, city/local cops use LIDAR, whereas Highway Patrol use RADAR. Data to back up or deny this would be great, esp. applying to state of WA and Seattle/Kirkland area.

Hope that wasn't too much. Feel free to ask me any clarifying questions.

Thx!

Dom

Lead Foot

Default Re: List of State/county RADAR/LIDAR laws

Hi Dom,
    Guys of Lidar has a great maps of laser jammer laws - there are nine states in which they are illegal. RDs are illegal only in VA and DC. Almost all states use both Radar and LIDAR.

Overall, high-end Radar detectors work very well and their laser detection works very well. However, once an RD has detected laser, the officer already has your speed (assuming that he wasn't just targeting traffic ahead of you).

It really varies based upon geographical area who uses radar/LIDAR. I've seen highway cops using CO (Constant on) radar and I've seen city cops use it as well. Overall, I actually see more LIDAR overall in my area, local and county.

Lead Foot

Default Re: List of State/county RADAR/LIDAR laws

Hi Dom,
    Guys of Lidar has a great maps of laser jammer laws - there are nine states in which they are illegal. RDs are illegal only in VA and DC. Almost all states use both Radar and LIDAR.

Overall, high-end Radar detectors work very well and their laser detection works very well. However, once an RD has detected laser, the officer already has your speed (assuming that he wasn't just targeting traffic ahead of you).

It really varies based upon geographical area who uses radar/LIDAR. I've seen highway cops using CO (Constant on) radar and I've seen city cops use it as well. Overall, I actually see more LIDAR overall in my area, local and county.