Manufacturer

Default IMPORTANT SPEED TRAP INFO - Targeting the Front or Rear?

I recently received a question about whether or not Veil should be applied to the rear of the automobile.

I will do my best to answer that question in this new forum which will serve to alert us all to localized/regionalized laser [or radar] speed traps and methods.

In my opinion, whether or not you want to treat the rear of your automobiles with either VEIL and/or laser jammers really depends on how police speed traps are conducted in your particular driving area.

In general, I believe, that by and large most laser and/or radar encounters will originate from the front. I undertsand, that there are some areas that are targeting vehicles from the rear.

In some parts of Canada it is where intercept [radar] and laser are used and radar detectors are illegal. Despite the advances of RDD technology, such as VG2 or Spectre (I-III) and the immunity provided by RDDD countermeasures employed by the better detectors, you may still be subject to detector confiscation and/or pull-overs.

Why?

It's rather really simple: Speed traps, I have been told, are being conducted in these areas with the targeting officer located on the on-ramp of a highway overpass. All the officers do is target the vehicles from the rear with either radar or laser and simply watch for which ones hit their brake lights.

In these cases, it rather obvious that the driver is utilizing a detector of some sort, eliminating the value of RDD immunity as they visually determine who is operating a radar detector.

Prett sneaky isn't it?

This was just one example why and where targeting may occur from the rear. I am sure there are others [which I hope will be posted by this forum's readers].

Remember if you are going to use VEIL in the rear, make sure you own a radar detector that really performs well with rear encounters and is positioned without rear obstruction [so that it can "see" the rear laser].

A plus about VEIL (and/or jammer) usage from the rear is - to get the angle right - most encounters from the rear [using an on ramp] will likely occur at least 500 feet or 130 metres given the length of most on-ramps.

This helps.

Honestly, though, I don't believe VEIL will be sufficient, in many cases, at making you car invisible to laser at much under 1500ft or 500 meters from the REAR. The reason? VEIL can't hide what it doesn't cover. The rears of most cars/trucks tend to be pretty flat and vertical which makes for great laser reflection (particular if they're light coloured) even if the lights and plate are completely treated with VEIL. And don't forget the CHMBL!

In tests, I have even seen some active laser jammers struggle in completely obscuring the rear.

Next year at SML's '05 test we will be performing tests of VEIL in combination with Blinder's products to see how the pairing does on reducing suspectability to speed detection from the REAR with laser.

I am very optimistic about the possibilities and will share our results when I have them.

For now, VEIL usage in the REAR will certainly help you - will it be enough? time and experience will tell us. Until then, I would be cautious and look at either a Blinder M40 and/or Blnder M40 and VEIL front/back to have the ultimate countermeasure system devised.

One final note about REAR usage. Although rare, I have been told that moving laser is coming - that is police laser that is somehow mounted in-vehicle and can be operated while in motion. If those products do indeed surface, rear targeting will likely climb as a percentage of all laser encounters.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Lead Foot

When moving laser becomes available we can all bend over and kiss our rear ends goodbye

Manufacturer

Don't sweat it too much.

Laser enforcement is not the only thing that is in development.

I am working on a solution, as well... :wink:

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Founder of Stealthvation

What do you mean Bob? A new product to defeat laser?
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Suf Daddy

Default Comment about moving LIDAR

The LIDAR manufacturers would have to make some QUANTUM leap in technology if moving LIDAR is to become reality.

In using current LIDAR in a moving car targeting stationary objects is relatively easy, but these are large FLAT reflective surfaces. Vehicles are curved, sloped and just plain HARD to target with a steady hand, sight or aim, let alone targeting ANOTHER moving vehicle.

Honestly I can't see moving LIDAr becoming useful in law enforcement.

Maybe if NASA uses two large spacecrafts they can zap each other to a degree of certainty, but moving patrol cars and motorists is a BAD idea.

If you think doppler radar returns with cosine error, bounce and from hi - low doppler errors aren't enough. Consider that cosine while in YOUR favor in a stationary setting works AGAINST you in (radar) moving mode.

This certainly will be the same with LIDAR.

Even if they layer the circuitry for counting and calculating speed differently...................... an early issue with radar in moving mode.

-Suf Daddy
    2 LIDAR units and 5 Doppler Units.

Suf Daddy

Default Re: IMPORTANT SPEED TRAP INFO - Targeting the Front or Rear?

One comment about this aspect of moving LIDAR:

With a traditional radar AND LIDAR unit I can free hand the rear of the vehicle in front of me to see what their speed differential is.

Pulling away by 2 - 3 MPH or closing at 1-2 MPH
    Big rig trucks are generally 12 MPH differential, when I over take them.

Now the LIDAR unit would have to have another beam or target to produce MY patrol speed. though......................unless they use the VSS (stalker) speedo method to compute patrol speed..................Then its a question of are the tires the right diameter for an accurate reading..........
    -Suf Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy

One final note about REAR usage. Although rare, I have been told that moving laser is coming - that is police laser that is somehow mounted in-vehicle and can be operated while in motion. If those products do indeed surface, rear targeting will likely climb as a percentage of all laser encounters.

The Veil Guy 8)