Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vertical mount OK? RX65

I'm trying to figure out where to mount an RX65 in my fiberglass fairing. Since we're talking radio waves, a vertical mount works as well as horizontal and what's important is that it points forward, right?

(Yes, I know I'll give up the laser by hiding it in the fairing - not a big deal for my touring needs since I avoid metropolitan areas and interstates.)

Advanced Member

it would reduce the range of the RX65 signifigantly try one of these mounts
    http://www.radarbusters.com/products...ts/default.asp
    The radar detector performs best when mounted parallel to the ground

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Administrator

Default Polarization

This would effect the polarization and perhaps reduce the range of your detector
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

So, are radar guns polarized? If so, why? Reduced interference?

And, if they are polarized, are they polarized vertically or horizontally or at an angle?

I looked at a few of the install manuals on-line for some of the remote units and some of them say that hte best moutning for remote antennae is at a 45 degree angle.

Example:
    http://www.whistlergroup.com/manuals...s/3300swra.pdf

If this is true, then I can only assume that the antennae on high-end units like the RX65 have internally mounted their antennae at 45 degrees to get the best overall reception. Therefore, a ninety degree rotoation of the antenna shouldn't have material impact unless all radar guns are polarized at the same rotiation and in the same angular direction - this doesn't seem very likely to me.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by radarduck
    So, are radar guns polarized? If so, why?

And, if they are polarized, are they polarized vertically or horizontally or at an angle?

I looked at a few of the install manuals on-line for some of the remote units and some of them say that hte best moutning for remote antennae is at a 45 degree angle.

Example:
    http://www.whistlergroup.com/manuals...s/3300swra.pdf

If this is true, then I can only assume that the antennae on high-end units like the RX65 have internally mounted their antennae at 45 degrees to get the best overall reception. Therefore, a ninety degree rotoation of the antenna shouldn't have material impact unless all radar guns are polarized at the same rotiation and in the same angular direction - this doesn't seem very likely to me.
    Yes, they are polarized, this is by their very nature. The vast majority of "regular" police radar guns are circular polarized and have horizontal and vertical components, and the receivers in detectors are vertically polarized. The difference is photo radar. Some photo radar units are horizontally polarized. If the detector is verically polarized, the sensitivity to a horizontally polarized signal can be up to 20-30 dbm less than a verically polarized signal. Usually the "rule of thumb" is it cuts range by 1/3 or 1/2, but in worst cases it could be more. (now you can see why they do it for photo radar!) When radar bounces off of objects, it can change the polarization some, so we do have that in our favor. It has been suggested that for better reception to certain models of photo radar, one can turn their "regular" detector on it's side. It does appear that with the Whistler you referenced, they're trying to get the "best of both worlds". As far as what they do with other units, it is difficult to say. Generally if you dont live in an area with photo radar, I wouldn't worry about polarization too much...

Jim

Interesting topic .... in thinking about it , it does make sense that radar gun manufacturers would use vertical polarization to get the highest quality return signal - and that detector manufacturers would polarize antennae to get the best detection.

Currently, my state (Washington) isn't using photo radar except for a few small municipalities but given what lengths they're going to these days to generate revenue, I wouldn't be surpirsed to see one on every corner within a year. %%&#^&%^$%#^!!!!!!!

Looks like I'll have to work on a horizontal install of the unit.

Thanks for the info.

Banned

I'm pleased that we have someone like you Jim that can answer tech questions like these. You're the man.

Manufacturer

No this is an interest idea.

How about the construction of a detector that has both configurations for both vertical and horizontal.

Jimbo, it would be interesting to see if by rotating the radar gun 90 degrees if detector sensitivity is reduced...

What do ya think?

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Advanced Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    I would definitely like to see some real-world test results on this. It would also be of great benefit to the people where photo radar is a big threat...

Jim

Radar Fanatic

If I have some spare time tonight, i'll take a few runs at an X and a K source (won't be real i'm afriad, just door openers) and see if I can come up with anything.