Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Hard to detect motorcycles unless close

I heard that it is hard to get a reading from a bike unless it is up close.
    I ride a crotch rocket and average about 75mph on 55's, nothing more excessive to make me into a human paintball. Occasionaly I'll pick up K, or KA, and so far I have been successful in slowing down before they pick up a reading on radar. Does anyone know if this is true? I know that radar will pickup the biggest moving object, so if I was passing an 18wheeler it would get a reading from the truck instead of me.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Hard to detect motorcycles unless close

Quote Originally Posted by YZFR1
    I heard that it is hard to get a reading from a bike unless it is up close.
    I ride a crotch rocket and average about 75mph on 55's, nothing more excessive to make me into a human paintball. Occasionaly I'll pick up K, or KA, and so far I have been successful in slowing down before they pick up a reading on radar. Does anyone know if this is true? I know that radar will pickup the biggest moving object, so if I was passing an 18wheeler it would get a reading from the truck instead of me.
    I've always been successful in slowing down too. I don't know if that's due to the bike having a lower radar cross section or just due to having a good radar detector.

Let's see some pics of the R1. :wink:

Newcomer

http://www.m0n.org/r1bike.jpg
    2001 R1.
    My classmate and I rebuilt the engine last year so I could try to get 3rd and 4th gear wheelies. So much power I stripped out 2nd gear.

Good Citizen

Nice '01.

Is that your '04 in the avatar also?

Newcomer

No, thats actually a cops patrol R1 taken by a friend of mine back home in San Diego, California. Thats skeery! Heres a larger image of it ---> http://www.m0n.org/patrolr1.jpg

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by YZFR1
    No, thats actually a cops patrol R1 taken by a friend of mine back home in San Diego, California. Thats skeery! Heres a larger image of it ---> http://www.m0n.org/patrolr1.jpg
    I'm surprised I haven't already seen a photo of that on R1-forum.com

8)

Professional

Yes, bikes have a lower radar cross section, meaning they reflect less of a signal back to the radar operator. The distance at which they can be clocked, all other things remaining the same, is less than that of the average car.

Some of the newer DSP radars have modes that display the fastest vehicle, and not just the strongest signal, so I suppose it would be possible to clock a cycle passing an 18 wheeler with one of those.

You'd still have to be close enough to get a return signal.

Ed

Good Citizen

they always just wave at me when i ride by

Newcomer

LEO's always seem to profile me as a guy that is about to try to outrun them. There will be lots of times when I'm not speeding and I'll see a cop come rushing up behined me and then eventually pass me. I never outran a cop and I have been pulled over by a unmarked state trooper in a Camaro that had paced my speed without radar. His first words was "I appreciate you not trying to outrun me." and he was kind of cool coz he wrote me a ticket for the original speed @72mph because at first I thought it was some punks trying to give me a bad time in a camaro so I excelled to a comfortable 95mph, then the lights came on. The price I pay for having a crotch rocket.

Good Citizen

Many cities in my region have adopted a "no-chase" policy. Sounds like a bad idea, but i guess just "letting them get away" avoids a high speed persuit involving damages and/or loss of life. Since pulling over a sports bike is going to go 50/50 run/stop, my guess is that alot dont waste their time. Oh, and I ride a 2000 Honda CBR 929rr Turbo.
    Andrew
    PS, and for the record, I do not endorse running at all. pull over.