Newcomer

Default LegalSpeeding.com

Installed the HARD system and in case you don't know, it activates a small light in the helmet. I ride a Goldwing and wear earplugs to stop the wind noise so no way could I hear my STI speaker.

Only had it for a few days but so it works great.
    Bob n Tx

Speed Demon

I was looking at some gadgets that would mix different audio signals so I could listen to the MP3 player on the long rides and also get radar alerts. Even without the music, the only way I can hear the radar detector is stopped at a stoplight.

I went with the H.A.R.D. system too and it definitely works as advertised. The visual alert in the helmet worked great. Two side notes:

* When the H.A.R.D. was on, my GPS lost its signal every time. It was ok as I was with a bunch of bikes and speeds were low. but there's a conflict there somewhere
    * As the sun went down on the first day, which was our longest day, we were in the middle of nowhere. As we rounded the canyon wall, there was some police about 1/2 mile up the road. it wasn't a speed trap, the LEO was out of his car talking to a motorist. But his radar was still on. As soon as I rounded the corner the detector did it's job and found the radar. Being a very dark night, the inside of my entire helmet lit up very bright. I had to quickly raise my visor to see anything with the bright red glare. I just grabbed the LED with my left hand and covered it until we were past the LEO, then pulled over and readjusted the LED to be more night-friendly (pushed it down next to the helmet cushion). It was a good laugh, especially for my fellow riders who saw the inside of my helmet flashing away like a jack-o-lantern.

Newcomer

I wonder why you lost your GPS signal when you received a radar contact? What kind of GPS are you running?
    Bob

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I wonder why you lost your GPS signal when you received a radar contact? What kind of GPS are you running?
    Bob
    The GPS loses satellite signal within about a minute after the H.A.R.D. transmitter is powered on. I'm guessing EM interference. I took a long trip, which was the first time I used the H.A.R.D. and it still took me a couple of days of testing to verify it. The GPS would connect about 10-20% of the time which made it more difficult to troubleshoot. But on the 8-day trip, I finally confirmed it with regularity that the H.A.R.D. and the GPS don't play well together.

I didn't have a pic, so I just ran out to the garage, slapped the GPS and RD in their spots and snapped a pic. So it doesn't show the wiring or the H.A.R.D. transmitter. Also missing from the pic is the power cable to the RD and the tank bag. The H.A.R.D. transmitter velcro's underneath the 995.

GPS = Garmin Quest
    RD = Bel 995

It's not devastating since when I'm on a long ride, I'm riding with other bikes and the speeds are well in check. And when riding locally, I know where I'm going, so the RD gets used.

I thought about trying out an external antenna for the GPS and wire it all the way back to the tail of the bike.

Newcomer

I haven't notced it with my setup but I have not run it a lot. I have sold the bike and am waiting to get a new one. My radar iis a STI and my gps is zumo. On my bike they were futher apart. When I get the new bike I will be watching for that.
    Bob

I don't have any problems with the zumo and STi on my bike. the zumo is mounted on the left grip and the STi is in my tank bag. I ran the remote to the front and it sits between my dash and the windscreen. The zumo and STi run through an Autocom and I have in-ear speakers. When the radar goes off, I can hear it and I can see it on the remote.