Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Does lean angle impact effectiveness of jammers on bikes?

I just posted a question in this forum about where I should mount a jammer to my Ulysses and as I was searching for a decent picture, I was reminded by all of the shots in the twisties that bikes are quite a bit different than cars in that they lean in turns. With all of the emphasis I have seen on the heads needing to be level, I'm left wondering what the effectiveness would be if you got painted in full lean?

Any thoughts.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Does lean angle impact effectiveness of jammers on bikes?

Thinking about your proposed jammer selections I'm wonder if you should have one vertical and one horizontal? Good critical thinking.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by tick-tock View Post
    I just posted a question in this forum about where I should mount a jammer to my Ulysses and as I was searching for a decent picture, I was reminded by all of the shots in the twisties that bikes are quite a bit different than cars in that they lean in turns. With all of the emphasis I have seen on the heads needing to be level, I'm left wondering what the effectiveness would be if you got painted in full lean?

Any thoughts.

That's a bloody good question and I can't wait to read the answer.

Yoda of Radar

This question is more tricky to respond to then hard to IMHO...

In the simplest terms I can say... no it will not have a large impact on where and how you decide to mount, nor in real world applications.

I say this for a few reasons:

1) In real world applications, most shots occurs coming OUT of a corner... rather then during the middle of one. (As far as hitting the twisties)... this is where you could be standing the bike back-up, so the angle should not be a huge factor...

2) (Building off of one) - In the middle of the twisties is normally ones lowest speed anyways... and since most twisties are labelled "cautionary limit" ##. In other words... PSL: (Mandated to follow)... 55MPH. You enter the twisties on the road and a big yellow sign says "20MPH" with the curved road symbol... so technically you COULD go 55MPH, because the 20mph is only advised... in other words... if you crash: You are SO getting a ticket. Granted an LEO could sight you for unsafe/imprudent speed etc. BUT without you crashing your lawyer would likely eat that alive, saying you obviously were under control.
    Again... most people simply slam on the throttle coming OFF the corner, and this is where they get a ticket, not mid corner.

Out west a lot of people hit sweepers.... not twisties, and THERE you can get into trouble for speeding mid corner... but again, most sit just off the corner.

3) Motorcycles for a solid jammer (Read: LI/M#7) are fairly easy to cover IF the install is done correctly for the hard-points on the front.

4) IF it is mounted level... it would basically be nothing more than an off-axis shot... plain and simple, just how far of an off axis-shot depends on the said lean angle and your front-end angle relative to the officer. Furthermore, it would be similar to mounting a head vertical, rather than horizontal... since the lean angle does not disrupt the angle if parallel to the ground when mounted... in other words: Lets say you have it mounted under your HL's horizontally.... all leaning would do, is take it from horizontal>vertical... if you crash: The heads would literally be vertical (90degrees to the road)... but STILL level... just in a vertical rather than horizontal positioning.

In the example of a picture you posted... the guy is barely leaned over at all... so I would venture to say a shot would likely render no-speed if you had an LI or something directly above/below the HL's.
    Last edited by AirMoore; 12-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post

2) (Building off of one) - In the middle of the twisties is normally ones lowest speed anyways... and since most twisties are labelled "cautionary limit" ##. In other words... PSL: (Mandated to follow)... 55MPH. You enter the twisties on the road and a big yellow sign says "20MPH" with the curved road symbol... so technically you COULD go 55MPH, because the 20mph is only advised...
    Thanks for the info. On the roads I travel, though, the PSL is usually 35 or 45 and I'm typically doing greater than that in mid-corner (unless it's a super-share curve). I hear what you are saying about the LEO usually targeting out of the corner. With veil, jammer, and sharp eyes, it sounds like I'll be ok.

Lead Foot

Also consider the LI HP. It has 2 diodes per head, one that projects a beam horizontally and one that projects a beam veritcally. The standard LI only has one diode that projects horizontally.

This could be beneficial in some situations...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
    Also consider the LI HP. It has 2 diodes per head, one that projects a beam horizontally and one that projects a beam veritcally. The standard LI only has one diode that projects horizontally.

At $1000 for the HP vs. under $400 for the M27, I think I'll take my chances with the Blinder.

Professional

At $1000 for the HP vs. under $400 for the M27, I think I'll take my chances with the Blinder.
    I would take my chances on the LI regulars instead of the HP before the Blinders. Just my .02

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew21 View Post

I would take my chances on the LI regulars instead of the HP before the Blinders. Just my .02
    I understand that LIs are regarded as better equipment but do you really think they are necessary, as compared to the Blinders, on a bike? I was thinking the small frontal area, and little in the way of reflective surfaces wouldn't need much to provide good protection.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew21 View Post

I understand that LIs are regarded as better equipment but do you really think they are necessary, as compared to the Blinders, on a bike? I was thinking the small frontal area, and little in the way of reflective surfaces wouldn't need much to provide good protection.
    I wouldn't trust 2 blinder heads to protect my car's front end, and I wouldn't trust 2 blinder head to protect your bike front/back.
    A little extra coin now could save you big coin and paranoia down the line.
    I half assed it in the beginning with an LI Dual and after a while, I got paranoid about rear shots after other users in Atlanta got hit in the rear.. I had to reduce speed to 14 over or below when passing on-ramps or other potential rear shot areas, and never really felt confident.

..I'll be spending this weekend installing rear heads. They just came in the mail today. True story.

Pay for an M27, and wonder if you jammed when you are hit.
    Pay for an LI HP, and know you jammed.

You may not even need an HP. Contact Cliff, he'll let you know.