Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Canyon riding detectors?

I have a cbr 929, and most of my riding is done in canyons, where the longest straight away is less then 1/4 mile and most the turns are rated at 30-40mph. so there really isn't a line of sight. also there isn't to many cars on the road. mostly just a cop here and there parked on blind corners. my question is which radar works the best in a curve? also which is the easiet one to notice when its going off? i wear an mp3 player when i ride so the easiet to see or one loud enough i can hear it. an ear piece might be alright if i could get it to stay next to my ear.

Thank you in advance

-Quinc

Advanced Member

Go here to see the absolute best in RDs just tested http://www.guysoflidar.com/

Sounds like you need an audio mgt unit like Autocom or Mixit to handle your different electronics.

or you can buy an extra speaker or an LED lights that catch your attention.

At high speed I dont think any detector on its own will alert you.

Let me now if you need links and I will look up

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Canyon riding detectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc
    I have a cbr 929, and most of my riding is done in canyons, where the longest straight away is less then 1/4 mile and most the turns are rated at 30-40mph. so there really isn't a line of sight. also there isn't to many cars on the road. mostly just a cop here and there parked on blind corners. my question is which radar works the best in a curve? also which is the easiet one to notice when its going off? i wear an mp3 player when i ride so the easiet to see or one loud enough i can hear it. an ear piece might be alright if i could get it to stay next to my ear.

Thank you in advance

-Quinc
    I don't have a bike, but I do most of my serious driving in the canyons too. I drive all the good SoCal "motorcycle" roads listed on Pashnit.com.

In Cali, it's usually CHP doing canyon patrol, though sometimes you get rangers and Sheriffs, depending on where you go. Good Ka and K is a must have.

The 8500 X50 has saved me from numerous tickets in the canyons. Usually when the detector goes off the cop is right around the next corner though ... you are never going to get good range up there, and even the weakest signal is cause to stand on the brakes.

However, I can't really recommend the X50 since I've had numerous issues with them. My latest one did not pick up Ka at all, and I've had 4 others go self-cal/service required.

I have a V1 arriving today so we'll see how that compares.

-Obsidian-

Good Citizen

Thanks for the replys. i was leaning toward the 8500, but now i'm thinking bel x65. as far as the lidar testing goes, it doesn't seem that practical to me. it would be better if they did it around turns and by having two cars and hitting one car so many feet infront of the other.. etc etc..

Advanced Member

V1 still appears to be the champ at Laser but the hardcore here will tell you to be safe you need Veil first and then a jammer.

You cant count on even the V1 to warn you.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    V1 still appears to be the champ at Laser but the hardcore here will tell you to be safe you need Veil first and then a jammer.

but radar roy says the bel x65 is the best 8) is there anywhere that sales veil for less then 50$ also how long does that stuff last on your bike/car? everytime you wash your car do you have to put more on?

thank you for your replys

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf

I dont know where laser came up (I must have missed it), but most of the time LEO's will not use LIDAR in the twisties... they use radar (way to hard to target motorcycles with a LIDAR units) coming around corners.

As for Veil... it really depends on where you live (what kind of conditions you have) as to how long it will last... since I see you live in the 'south west' (persay) Veil will (should) last a very long time (if applied correctly), it could easily last a full riding season (depending on how much you ride), before you need to re-apply it.

Any of the Top 3 (Top 4) will serve you well, and the detection would go back and forth between them in the twisties. (I wouldnt really buy the STi if I was you though... because you dont seem to need a Spectre-Proof RD and that is where a lot of the $$ come from).

Advanced Member

And for a smaller application like a bike you'd just have to buy it once for years. The shelf life is pretty good as long as it sealed.

I use the Lightguard protector which I have veiled on both sides for max stealth its one piece and I have 2 headlights so its almost like a nose bra for the bike. Its removable so I take it off for riding at night.

Yes Airmoore is correct about Lidar the cop has to be stationary and a bike pulling through corners would be hard to hit.

Good Citizen

cool thanks for the replys. Do you have any links where i can find light guards?

i was leaning toward the solo s2 but after reading some reviews i'm now leaning toward the bel rx65.

Advanced Member